Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fat kids should concern liberals and conservatives

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fat kids should concern liberals and conservatives

    Here is the premise: obesity is endangering the nation's military security and financial future. Many reasons are cited for the fact that more people are fat than ever before, and from the looks of the younger generation it is going to get worse. One solution is to accept the fact that it is each individual's responsibility(or right) and not worry too much about it. It strikes me that the long range medical costs, particularly pertaining to diabetes, and the danger to our military as fewer and fewer young adults will even be healthy enough to serve if they want to, makes it a looming national crisis. I have a proposed solution that should enrage everyone, liberals and conservatives alike. Free lunches should be served to all children in schools, regardless of family income if they are willing to participate in a daily fitness program. Both the lunch program and the fitness regimen should be administered by the National Guard. Lots of exercise, even if it is just walking, before classes start---carefully prepared lunches (no junk food machines available) with an emphasis on information with the hope that habits could be formed which carry over and combat the forces currently turning them into lumps. People should be free not to participate, in which case they would send the lunches to school, or buy what the others are eating free. Have the democrats or republicans or any other parties had anything to say about this? If this concept seems to faintly echo Hitler's Germany, I would just submit that so did the popularity of Volkswagens---I think the problem of how out-of-shape our nation has become calls for something very substantial to be done.
    v



  • #2
    Well, socialized healthcare will not do anything but enable these sloths.

    Let 'em kill themselves early, maybe there will be some Social Security available for me.
    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

    Comment


    • #3
      KJoe,

      Man, if the nations school lunches are anything like the ones at my school's as a youth this program would never work.. The food sucked.. When I got to high school, I don't recall anyone eating in the cafeteria, food was just downright awful. However we did have an open campus tho.. Peace.

      The Tailor
      Official Lounge Co-Sponsor of Matty Mo.

      "Authority is supposedly grounded in wisdom. But I could see from a very early age that authority was only a system of control, and it didn't have any inherent wisdom.." --- Joe Strummer

      \'user \'user

      Comment


      • #4
        interesting idea, unfortuantly too practile for the average american to agree with :(

        Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!


        Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Soocrates@Mar 6 2004, 03:59 PM
          KJoe,

          Man, if the nations school lunches are anything like the ones at my school's as a youth this program would never work.. The food sucked.. When I got to high school, I don't recall anyone eating in the cafeteria, food was just downright awful. However we did have an open campus tho.. Peace.

          The Tailor
          I was a teacher for many years. I agree---that's why I think it has to be strictly controlled by people with a high level of competence. Of all federal agencies, the military seems to have been the most competent, lately. I don't know how healthy our soldiers are eating, but I suspect better than the general population. Otherwise, you get poorly prepared, lowest common denominator of easy to fix grease and starch. Cooks would make a half-hearted pass at fixing healthy stuff, and point to the waste cans and say what's the use when they won't eat it? I particularly hated taking "lunch count" where teachers kept records of those who paid full price, those who paid reduced price, those who had free lunches and those who brought their lunch from home. Some parents falsified the forms to get free lunches, others who legitimately qualified struggled to pay to save their kids embarrassment when lunch count wqs taken. I've never given schools high marks for their lunch programs.
          v


          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lazydaze@Mar 6 2004, 03:51 PM
            Well, socialized healthcare will not do anything but enable these sloths.

            Let 'em kill themselves early, maybe there will be some Social Security available for me.
            That's why smokers might be unfairly overtaxed.(Not) Emphysema is a cost-effective solution.
            v


            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kjoe+Mar 6 2004, 04:18 PM-->
              QUOTE(kjoe @ Mar 6 2004, 04:18 PM)

            • #8
              Originally posted by kjoe@Mar 6 2004, 04:18 PM
              that's why I think it has to be strictly controlled by people with a high level of competence.
              There's your problem with any sort of socialism.

              Furthermore, unless you want a Stalinist school system, you cannot force kids to eat whatever you want them to eat.

              They simply won't eat at all.
              When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

              Comment


              • #9
                I don't know how healthy our soldiers are eating, but I suspect better than the general population. Otherwise, you get poorly prepared, lowest common denominator of easy to fix grease and starch.
                Starch was the in everything I ate in the Army.

                Soldiers eat high calorie foods, because it gets burned off with PT.
                His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
                Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

                Comment


                • #10
                  Originally posted by moedrabowsky@Mar 6 2004, 06:48 PM
                  I don't know how healthy our soldiers are eating, but I suspect better than the general population. Otherwise, you get poorly prepared, lowest common denominator of easy to fix grease and starch.
                  Starch was the in everything I ate in the Army.

                  Soldiers eat high calorie foods, because it gets burned off with PT.
                  When I was in, in the early 80's you could get as much garbage or healthy food as you wanted in the mess hall.
                  Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    Originally posted by lazydaze+Mar 6 2004, 04:25 PM-->
                    QUOTE(lazydaze @ Mar 6 2004, 04:25 PM)

                  • #12
                    It starts with the parents. When my two boys were little kids, Debbie and I made a firm decision not to sacrifice our boys health for the enrichment of McDonalds, or Burger King.

                    The ONLY time we ate at those joints, was when we were on a long road trip, which made cooking impossible. Ramon, my oldest son, who'll be 25 on St. Patty's Day, told me it's been about six years since he's ate a fast food burger. My youngest, Caleb, who is a freshman at SIU-Carbondale has told me that he avoids the fast food trap. He perfers a more well balanced meal.

                    As for Debbie and I, we also have done very well swearing off of the fast food scene. It's been well over five years since I've eaten at McDonalds, BK, White Castle, or that kind.

                    IMO, if the parents would take the responsibilty to teach their children responsible eating choices, we would not be needing outside forces to protect us from ourselves.
                    Make America Great For Once.

                    Comment


                    • #13
                      Originally posted by The Kev@Mar 6 2004, 08:08 PM
                      It starts with the parents. When my two boys were little kids, Debbie and I made a firm decision not to sacrifice our boys health for the enrichment of McDonalds, or Burger King.

                      The ONLY time we ate at those joints, was when we were on a long road trip, which made cooking impossible. Ramon, my oldest son, who'll be 25 on St. Patty's Day, told me it's been about six years since he's ate a fast food burger. My youngest, Caleb, who is a freshman at SIU-Carbondale has told me that he avoids the fast food trap. He perfers a more well balanced meal.

                      As for Debbie and I, we also have done very well swearing off of the fast food scene. It's been well over five years since I've eaten at McDonalds, BK, White Castle, or that kind.

                      IMO, if the parents would take the responsibilty to teach their children responsible eating choices, we would not be needing outside forces to protect us from ourselves.
                      More power to you and your family. Would you be better off personally, if millions of families did the same? In terms of future medical premiums and/or medical related taxes I believe you and I would be better off. Just a matter of how much you believe people will simply see the light and choose to do things like this.
                      v


                      Comment


                      • #14
                        One of the truly gluttonous anomaly's of our society is that by far, we have the most children that are both malnourished and obese.
                        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X