• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnett expects to keep Colorado job.

I'm sure that will be easy.

Barnett expects to keep job at Colorado amid sex scandal
    Feb. 20, 2004
    SportsLine.com wire reports

DENVER -- University of Colorado coach Gary Barnett expects to be reinstated despite another accusation of sexual assault against his program and insensitive comments he made about a female kicker who says she was raped by a teammate.

Barnett, appearing on CNN's Larry King Live Thursday, expressed confidence he would keep his job. The football program has been rocked by allegations of rape and sex-and-alcohol parties involving recruits.

"I just know that the way that it's coming across nationally, I just don't think that's who I am," Barnett said.

University president Elizabeth Hoffman placed Barnett on administrative leave for criticizing the on-field performance of kicker Katie Hnida after she said she had been raped by a teammate in 2000 and harassed by others. Barnett told reporters that Hnida was "not only a girl" but a "terrible" player.

Hoffman also said she was distressed by a remark attributed to Barnett in a 2001 police report that if another woman pursued rape charges against a player, Barnett "would back his player 100 percent."

Barnett has apologized for his comments, which he said were taken out of context and misinterpreted. He will remain on paid administrative leave while an independent committee investigates the allegations and revelations involving the football program.

Gary Barnett reads a statement to the media after being placed on paid administrative leave.(AP)
    The coach could save his job if he proves the football program is not hostile to women, Hoffman told The Denver Post for Friday's editions. "We want to leave open the possibility that coach Barnett will still be our head coach," she said.

Barnett and his program have been under scrutiny since three women filed lawsuits, contending they were raped at or just after an off-campus party for high school recruits in December 2001.

The latest blow came Thursday, when Boulder police said they were investigating whether a woman was raped by a CU football player in 2002, the seventh alleged assault since 1997 linked to the team.

Former and current players voiced support Thursday for their coach.

"We believe coach Barnett is a man of high moral integrity," former quarterback Charles Johnson said. "We believe he is doing the right things. A balanced story is not being told."

Current Colorado quarterback Joel Klatt said there seemed to be a rush to judgment.

"I want to encourage everyone -- the media and the public alike -- to wait until the evidence is shown and the facts are out before anyone starts passing judgment on any parties involved," he said.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

i can only think of one explination for what he has said.

he is smoking crack

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

Originally posted by bombay@Feb 20 2004, 12:54 PM
      My bet would be that Barnett is gone. It's a matter of working out financial terms only.
      Barnett would only be so lucky if any financial terms were "worked out".

He should be summarily fired and not be paid another dime. And not paid to leave, either.

Comment

Originally posted by bombay@Feb 20 2004, 12:54 PM
        My bet would be that Barnett is gone. It's a matter of working out financial terms only.
        Don't see how this guy keeps his job with the latest revelations.

And his insensitivity to the issue when he pointed out that Hnida was a terrible player will be his undoing.

Shows some real understanding of the situation.

"She was fine in the sack, but she just couldn't kick the damn football"
        Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Originally posted by hkyfan+Feb 20 2004, 12:58 PM-->
          QUOTE(hkyfan @ Feb 20 2004, 12:58 PM)

Originally posted by hkyfan@Feb 20 2004, 12:58 PM

"She was fine in the sack, but she just couldn't kick the damn football"
          beautiful post

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

This guy doesn't have a clue....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

QUOTE(hkyfan @ Feb 20 2004, 12:53 PM) Quoted post

I'm sure that will be easy.

Barnett expects to keep job at Colorado amid sex scandal  
                Feb. 20, 2004
              SportsLine.com wire reports    

DENVER -- University of Colorado coach Gary Barnett expects to be reinstated despite another accusation of sexual assault against his program and insensitive comments he made about a female kicker who says she was raped by a teammate.

Barnett, appearing on CNN's Larry King Live Thursday, expressed confidence he would keep his job. The football program has been rocked by allegations of rape and sex-and-alcohol parties involving recruits.

"I just know that the way that it's coming across nationally, I just don't think that's who I am," Barnett said.

University president Elizabeth Hoffman placed Barnett on administrative leave for criticizing the on-field performance of kicker Katie Hnida after she said she had been raped by a teammate in 2000 and harassed by others. Barnett told reporters that Hnida was "not only a girl" but a "terrible" player.

Hoffman also said she was distressed by a remark attributed to Barnett in a 2001 police report that if another woman pursued rape charges against a player, Barnett "would back his player 100 percent."

Barnett has apologized for his comments, which he said were taken out of context and misinterpreted. He will remain on paid administrative leave while an independent committee investigates the allegations and revelations involving the football program.

Gary Barnett reads a statement to the media after being placed on paid administrative leave.(AP)  
              The coach could save his job if he proves the football program is not hostile to women, Hoffman told The Denver Post for Friday's editions. "We want to leave open the possibility that coach Barnett will still be our head coach," she said.

Barnett and his program have been under scrutiny since three women filed lawsuits, contending they were raped at or just after an off-campus party for high school recruits in December 2001.

The latest blow came Thursday, when Boulder police said they were investigating whether a woman was raped by a CU football player in 2002, the seventh alleged assault since 1997 linked to the team.

Former and current players voiced support Thursday for their coach.

"We believe coach Barnett is a man of high moral integrity," former quarterback Charles Johnson said. "We believe he is doing the right things. A balanced story is not being told."

Current Colorado quarterback Joel Klatt said there seemed to be a rush to judgment.

"I want to encourage everyone -- the media and the public alike -- to wait until the evidence is shown and the facts are out before anyone starts passing judgment on any parties involved," he said.

AP NEWS
              The Associated Press News Service

[/b][/quote]
              [/b][/quote]

I was looking for something else, and came accross this. Interesting. Betsy Hoffman is gone, the old AD (who's name escapes me) is gone, and Barnett is still standing. The Buffs are actually having a decent season, although the whole mess has cost them in terms of talent - both recruiting and in transfers, like Heisman candidate Brian Calhoun.

Investigation after investigation, including then Attorney General Ken Salazar's, and they turned up nothing. No names were named (of players), no charges were filed. District attorney Mary Keenan had an agenda to destroy the football program, and the useless uh, term of affection, failed. Barnett didn't turn out to be a pimp after all.
              Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

Working...
              X