Roto baseball advice: Bret Boone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roto baseball advice: Bret Boone

I keep thinking that every year he is going to fall off, but he seems to keep up his pace.

Thoughts?

Who gets the better of this deal: Preston Wilson for Bret Boone.

It's a keeper league.

Thx.
    Dude. Can. Fly.

I think Boone is one of those guys that may have benefitted from those "good vitamins". He did much better than I expected him to do last year after his big career year. I would pencil him in for about 80-85% of what he did in 2003.

As for Wilson, he benefits from that park quite a bit, but he is an outfielder, which are easier to find.

That said, its a pretty even swap. Depends on how much of an upgrade each player is over the guy they are replacing.
    “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy@Mar 6 2004, 11:15 AM
      I think Boone is one of those guys that may have benefitted from those "good vitamins". He did much better than I expected him to do last year after his big career year. I would pencil him in for about 80-85% of what he did in 2003.

As for Wilson, he benefits from that park quite a bit, but he is an outfielder, which are easier to find.

That said, its a pretty even swap. Depends on how much of an upgrade each player is over the guy they are replacing.
      I would be getting a pick.

To win the league last year I had to mortgage the future. So I have a 1 and a 2 but then nothing until 9 I think.
      Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Dvyyyyy,

I just read that Preston has a bum knee that has a soft tissue problem. They just did an MRI on it. He also underwent offseason finger surgery, so I would be somewhat leery of him.

I think from reading that, and recognizing the position scarcity at second base - especially in the AL - that I would rather have Boone than Wilson.
        “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy@Mar 6 2004, 11:25 AM
          Dvyyyyy,

I just read that Preston has a bum knee that has a soft tissue problem. They just did an MRI on it. He also underwent offseason finger surgery, so I would be somewhat leery of him.

I think from reading that, and recognizing the position scarcity at second base - especially in the AL - that I would rather have Boone than Wilson.
          Yeah, I've been following Wilson's status.

This guy I am trading with happens to be in Denver too.

My feeling was/is to trade Wilson now because his stock couldn't possibly get higher. Problem is that he has the knee issue AND he had offseason finger surgery and he still is having some problems.

SIGH.

Boone and a mid-level pick might be the best I can do.
          Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Hate Boone. Never draft him.

Comment

I had Brett Boone last year (via a mid-season trade) and helped out big-time....great player, but streaky and K'd too much for my taste...

When he's hot, he's one of the best there is @ the position, but he's not too consistent.....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by 007@Mar 6 2004, 11:42 AM
                I had Brett Boone last year (via a mid-season trade) and helped out big-time....great player, but streaky and K'd too much for my taste...

When he's hot, he's one of the best there is @ the position, but he's not too consistent.....
                It's weird how some guys, even though they do it for 2-3 years, you just don't trust them. Boone is one of those guys.

I might have to do this deal, though. I need the picks if I want to take a shot at repeating.
                Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy+Mar 6 2004, 11:44 AM-->
                  QUOTE(dvyyyyyy @ Mar 6 2004, 11:44 AM)

This one publication I have has him as the second best 2b behind Soriano but then says expect a drop-off because he cooled down in the second half. :rolleyes:
                  Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy@Mar 6 2004, 11:48 AM
                    This one publication I have has him as the second best 2b behind Soriano but then says expect a drop-off because he cooled down in the second half. :rolleyes:
                    I only use those things as a reference...you gotta go with what you know aboot the player and your gut...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I'd go with Wilson, He is 5 years younger, and playing in Colorado.

While Boone is attractive being a second baseman, if you start looking around there are many good guys at second.

If it's a keeper league, a couple years from now Boone should be gone, Preston might still be hitting bombs in Colorado.
                      Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote@Mar 6 2004, 11:41 AM
                        Hate Boone. Never draft him.

I call bullshit
                        Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB+Mar 6 2004, 01:21 PM-->
                          QUOTE(TTB @ Mar 6 2004, 01:21 PM)
                        Working...
                        X