• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Any Peppers fans on here?
    Make America Great For Once.

Originally posted by The Kev@Mar 6 2004, 10:15 AM
    Any Peppers fans on here?
    Right here Kev. I didn't like them at first, but over time I have grown to really like their music.
    I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Older Peppers. New stuff kinda sounds corporate to me. BSSM is a great album BTW.

Comment

Old school RHCP is great. The new stuff sounds too homogenized t' me.

"Behind The Sun" was/is my favorite tune.

Today, for Ali, it's all about the Pixies.
        "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. "
        -- Dennis, Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Comment

I like the older stuff, myself.

I loved their remake of Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground".
          Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Mar 6 2004, 10:33 AM
            I like the older stuff, myself.

I loved their remake of Stevie Wonder's "Higher Ground".
            Best bass line in music.

Comment

I don't like much of their new stuff. I love the "Californication" video though. But I agree with whoever it was that said they've sold out and become too corporate/commercialized.

But I LOVE their old stuff. "Mother's Milk," "The Uplift Mofo Party Plan," and the self-titled debut album are all excellent. "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" is an all-timer.

Favorite songs: "Give It Away," "The Righteous and the Wicked," "Sir Psycho Sexy."

Comment

They were great, but Blood Sugar Sex Magic was the album where the Chili Peppers jumped the shark for me...the beginning of a total sell-out with the fruity balads and shitty MTV appearances...the funk was gone for me...
                . . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
                -mike
                mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

Comment

Is it just me or do ALL bands sell out? It seems to be applied to all bands that 'make it'...

Could be the most overused term to describe a band..

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                  Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                  -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by 007@Mar 6 2004, 01:12 PM
                    Is it just me or do ALL bands sell out? It seems to be applied to all bands that 'make it'...

Could be the most overused term to describe a band..
                    When I use it, I mean that the band has started catering their music to more mainstream appeal, rather than making the music I liked them for...
                    . . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
                    -mike
                    mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchoolStroker@Mar 6 2004, 11:10 AM
                      They were great, but Blood Sugar Sex Magic was the album where the Chili Peppers jumped the shark for me...the beginning of a total sell-out with the fruity balads and shitty MTV appearances...the funk was gone for me...
                      I think Blood Sugar offered just the right mix of commercial and old-school Chili Peppers. They still had stuff like "Sir Psycho Sexy" and "The Power of Equality," but they mixed in "Under the Bridge" and "Give It Away" so that they could receive play on MTV and on the radio. Since I thought "Give It Away" was a great song, I don't really have a problem with it and it was only two out of 17 or so songs.

The subsequent albums though have all been complete attempts to draw a more mainstream audience. And thus, all of the others have been pretty mediocre save for the occassional good song here and there.

Comment

I love all of their work.

I have to disagree on on this sellout talk though. RHCP's sound has just changed. Californication was a great record where they really stretched themselves. By the Way had very few sales compared to their Californication. By the way may have not even gone platinum. The band has shifted from being dominated by Kedis, Flea and Hillel to now the focus being put on Frusciante. Frusciante plays a much alrger role in writing the songs and music than anyone else in the band now. By The Way had a real Pet Sounds vibe, lots of harmonizing and just great songs. It is my favorite album of theirs. The only bad album they put was One hot minute. Dave Navarro just did not fit into the band.

Comment

I don't listen to them as much any more, but I still like them.

The older stuff is better, IMO. I started listening when Mother's Milk came out, and went back and started listening to the self-titled album, and Uplift Mo-Fo Party Plan.

What is the name of that one song? "Super Special Secret Song Inside", or something?
                          " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Originally posted by Nebulous_Blue@Mar 6 2004, 10:31 AM
                            Old school RHCP is great. The new stuff sounds too homogenized t' me.

"Behind The Sun" was/is my favorite tune.

Today, for Ali, it's all about the Pixies.
                            I wub the Pixies.

Good call... today was all about me getting ready for the GBV show on Tuesday night....

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

I like the pixies...

btw does anybody else own the video "psychedelic sex funk live from heaven"? I thought it was a very good performance plus it's old peppers. I've been to two of their shows since (after the californication release and for by the way) and thought they were just eh...
                              \'user\'user\'user
                              Sponsor of Mee-Shay, Dante Culpepper & Marian Gaborik
                              proud sponsor of ball-magnet

Comment

Working...
                              X