Trouble Ahead for the Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble Ahead for the Yankees

Each year, for my seam-head friends, I do a very in depth examination of every team (at which time I attempt to predict actual victory totals). I am currently in the process of this composition. From time to time, I will share some of the highlights of my observations with my lounge friends.

These are the concluding paragraphs on the Yankees:

As I glance at the likely options for the Yankee roster, I can easily see fifteen of the twenty-five roster spots going to major-league free agents. That is, sixty percent of their roster populated by players the Yankees have only because they were in a position to pay them more money than anyone else. If Erick Almonte is sent down to the minors, I count only four products of the Yankee farm system that have a real chance to be make this team (Jorge Posada, Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams and Mariano Rivera). All the rest were acquired through an ever-open checkbook and a few trades.

Even that astonishing figure is misleading, though. Remember, the Alex Rodriguez transaction was officially a trade (as Soriano went to Texas). However, the dominant feature of the trade was the Yankees’ willingness to take on salary. The talent exchange was hardly even. The Yankees have two other roster members (Kevin Brown and Javier Vasquez) who were also officially traded, but for less talent than they were worth. Again, these were principally money transactions. This would mean a full 72% of the Yankee all-star roster is a direct result of New York’s economic advantage.

So, while they’re buying everyone in sight, the farm system is going to seed. Sports Weekly’s annual ranking of farm systems left the Yankees as dead last in baseball. They also don’t make any real trades any more, and when they do they get schooled (they traded Damaso Marte for Enrique Wilson?)

In our annual tour of the major leagues, we will see other organizations that are getting little production from their minor leagues. In all other cases, these organizations are struggling. Make no mistake about this; trouble for the Yankees is on the way. With Steinbrenner’s money as a perpetual crutch, the baseball muscle of this organization has atrophied.

Eventually, there has to be a limit even to Steinbrenner’s lucre. As his payroll careens toward and then past the $200 million mark, he must – at some point – reach his limit. Right? And then, what?

While many have already conceded this season to the Yankees, perhaps the true pennant race will be of a much darker variety. The race to see whether the Yankees destroy themselves before they destroy baseball.
    This game's gotta be played with fear and arrogance - Crash Davis

DIE YANKEES DIE!!!

Good article...leaves me with some hope as a small-ball A's fan
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Originally posted by Blues Fan in SF@Mar 5 2004, 11:12 PM
      DIE YANKEES DIE!!!

Good article...leaves me with some hope as a small-ball A's fan
      Probably won't happen this year, but eventually it has to catch up to them.
      This game's gotta be played with fear and arrogance - Crash Davis

Comment

I've said the same things about the Cardinals for quite a while now. Their farm system hasnt been productive in recent years, outside of Pujols, and they also have had severe payroll constraints. The result is that after the Big Seven of Pujols, Edmonds, Rolen, Morris, Woody, Izzy, and Renteria, our talent base is very thin and mediocre.

I cant even figure out who the eighth best player on the Cardinals is, except that whoever it is represents a huge dropoff from the Big Seven.
        “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Working...
        X