Billy Wagner talks about joining the Cardinals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billy Wagner talks about joining the Cardinals

How long he'll pitch for the Phillies remains to be seen. Wagner has an option for 2005 on his contract, but because he was traded during a multiyear deal, he can demand a trade.

"It all depends on if I like it and whether they like me," he said. "I've always said I'd like to pitch in St. Louis. It's a great baseball town. I don't know Philly. My feelings could change. Pitching in St. Louis would be a good way to come back and stick it to the Astros."
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...rts/bb/2434307

Doctor...I need izzy's contract status, stat.

Wagner would have to take considerably less money.

Maybe he'd work on the cheap on year just to fuck with the 'stros.

Izzy and Wagner? That might buy us the one extra year we need to set up the Journell/Calero relief duo of death.
    Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Mar 5 2004, 11:16 PM

Izzy and Wagner? That might buy us the one extra year we need to set up the Journell/Calero relief duo of death.
      I like the way your thinking SLU. Kiko, he's my man!
      RIP Stan the Man
      The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
      I miss TLR!

Comment

Originally posted by jhuegy+Mar 5 2004, 11:38 PM-->
        QUOTE(jhuegy @ Mar 5 2004, 11:38 PM)

Izzy will make 9 million next year. If they can move that and sign wagner, I´m all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE+Mar 6 2004, 09:46 AM-->
          QUOTE(SLUBLUE @ Mar 6 2004, 09:46 AM)
          Originally posted by [email protected] 5 2004, 11:38 PM

Hmm.

An interesting question.... would you as a Cardinals fan prefer that the Cards spent money next season (and we will have $$$ free) on Wagner and keep Izzy or keep Izzy and sign starting pitching?
          When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

I would prefer the cardinals trade Izzy next year, and use his money to sign wagner, who could conceiveably make less money in his first year of his new contract with the cards. The cardinals could then use the savings of having a cheaper closer to pursue more pitching. However, if the same braintrust is still in charge they'd find a way to screw it up anyways. But it was still a thought

Comment

Izzy isn't going anywhere.
              When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

How much is he owed next year>? I'd take wagner over izzy, and if the trade is available next year, would you make it?

Comment

If Walt learns anything, I hope that it's you don't need to overspend for a closer. Beane made Jocketty and a lot of other GMs look like fools the way he deals with closers. He jacks up their value by getting them a shitload of saves, then lets them go via free agency and gets first round picks. Just look at Koch and Izzy for example. The only closer I would pay 9 mill is Gagne. I think Journell will be an awesome closer, and I hope that we groom him for that role. That way we can save some serious cash and allocate it better.

Comment

Working...
                  X