Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six high schoolers apply for NFL Draft

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1751956

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

What, are these guys going to have workouts at their high schools? Will any scouts actually show up? I can't imagine any team drafting a kid out of high school, except maybe Arizona, given their "interesting" draft history.
    "My name is Pussy Galore."
    "I must be dreaming."

Official Sponsor of Scott Rolen

Comment

I can think of no high school student who has anything near what it takes to play in the NFL. Not even Max, the biggest kid I ever saw in my life.
      First Fan of the Halifax IceBreakers!

Comment

so is this career suicide? once they enter the draft, is it like the NBA (as long as they've already hired an agent) to where they're ineligible to fall back on college football if they're not drafted?

i'm with you guys, there is no way HS kids will get drafted. well, i can think of one way. waste a 7th rounder on them, and have the NFL guys whip their asses, forcing them to go back home and encourage any other HSer thinking about doing the same thing to forget about it.
        Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

I can't really say what the comparison is between the focus necessary to play in the nba and the focus necessary to play in the nfl, but I think you need to be a lot more focused and disciplined to make it in football and I can personally tell you that no high schooler has that kind of focus/discipline necessary to make it.

The average high school student is capable of staying focused for about 4-7 minutes before they need to be re-motivated. This is why preparation of lesson plans has to include 4-5 EXCELLENT and different motivations. You pull them in, get what you can out of it, pull them in again, if your motivation sucks, you lost them for at least 1/5th of the period.

I doubt any coach at the NFL level wants to stop what they're doing to keep getting someone motivated every 4-7 minutes.
          First Fan of the Halifax IceBreakers!

Comment

Motivation and focus isn't the problem. 18 year olds aren't physically ready to play in the NFL. Just looking at players from Mizzou. I think most kids probably gain on an average of 35 lbs. while they are in college. This is 35 lbs of muscle. Most college players aren't ready for a few years after being drafted. High school kids just aren't physically able to compete. That being said, would it suprise anyone if Martz drafted one?
            Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

none of these kids are seriously going to be looked at. It's just a way to get their names in the paper. Read the article..."the best is offensive tackle Ken Petitt of Redford High School in Michigan. He was an honorable mention selection on the Detroit News 2002 all-Detroit football team."

"Running back Ethan Mitchell of Springdale, Md., and Flowers High School, never played for the varsity, while running back Joe Banks is from New Directions Academy High School, a Baltimore school for developmentally disabled children, according to the Post."

Comment

Herschel Walker is the only football player who ever would have been drafted by the NFL straight out of high school.

The guys who declared are probably guys who couldn't get a scholorship for one reason or another--not good enough or not academically eligible. But I will say that if Willie Williams can't find a college to play for, I wouldn't be surprised if some team drafted him late.

Also, if none of these guys are drafted, if they have any promise I'm sure some team will sign them so they can show off their skills in training camp.

Comment

Originally posted by kicksave@Mar 6 2004, 02:06 PM
                  none of these kids are seriously going to be looked at. It's just a way to get their names in the paper. Read the article..."the best is offensive tackle Ken Petitt of Redford High School in Michigan. He was an honorable mention selection on the Detroit News 2002 all-Detroit football team."

"Running back Ethan Mitchell of Springdale, Md., and Flowers High School, never played for the varsity, while running back Joe Banks is from New Directions Academy High School, a Baltimore school for developmentally disabled children, according to the Post."
                  100% right. These kids are just trying to get attention.
                  Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB+Mar 6 2004, 12:18 PM-->
                    QUOTE(TTB @ Mar 6 2004, 12:18 PM)

Originally posted by devaskar+Mar 6 2004, 02:23 PM-->
                    QUOTE(devaskar @ Mar 6 2004, 02:23 PM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 6 2004, 12:18 PM
                  Working...
                  X