Broncos may change Rams Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos may change Rams Draft

Since Denver picked up Champ Bailey from the Skins that means they most likely will not draft a CB in the 1st round. Broncos possible 1st round selection (24th overall) may now be tight end Ben Troupe from Florida. Great size, good speed and hands, I thought this might be the Rams pick at 26.

This may also impact the Rams decision on matching Carolina's offer to Brandon Manumaleuna. I would take the 4th round pick and pass the $8.3 million offer on Manu but TE could get complicated. No other TE's under contract. Vikings free agent TE Jim Kleinsasser resigned this week.

I know we haven't used the position very effectively the past several years, but who plays TE next year for the Rams?
    Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

hky,

Who was the CB you had penciled in for Denver?

The rams could certainly use CB depth.
    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

I just want a tight end who can block. I saw that they may bring in Jed Weaver from SF for a visit. The guy is a receiver, can't block for anything. Maybe they'll draft an offensive tackle or guard. I've heard that Vernon Carey may be there when the Rams pick. Even with Timmerman back, McCollum wasn't very effective last year and they could use an upgrade at left guard. I just hope they don't send the first rounder to Houston for Henson.
      "My name is Pussy Galore."
      "I must be dreaming."

Official Sponsor of Scott Rolen

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Mar 5 2004, 09:15 PM
        hky,

Who was the CB you had penciled in for Denver?

The rams could certainly use CB depth.
        I think they may have taken Will Poole, the cornerback for USC.

The top CB's will be gone such as Chris Gamble from Ohio State, DeAngelo Hall from VT and Dunta Robinson from South Carolina.

Besided Poole, Derrick Strait from Oklahoma may still be on the board and probably worthy of a 1st round pick.

CB wouldn't be the worst position for the Rams to draft.

Of course, we'll probably take a defensive tackle.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Originally posted by hkyfan+Mar 5 2004, 09:22 PM-->
          QUOTE(hkyfan @ Mar 5 2004, 09:22 PM)

bdp,
          What about a guy like Keinsasser.

What is is status? Did he become a UFA?

Or would he be your fullback.

What do you think about matching manamanluea(sp?) offer from carolina?
          Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Kleinsasser re-signed with Minnesota. There isn't a particularly good tight end available in free agency.

Cornerback is always a good position to draft, no matter what your situation at the position is.

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Mar 5 2004, 09:25 PM
              bdp,
              What about a guy like Keinsasser.

What is is status? Did he become a UFA?

Or would he be your fullback.

I would have signed Kleinsasser from the Vikes in a minute for a reasonable price. Alas, he signed back on with the Vikings this week.

Not crazy about matching Carolina's offer at $8.3, especially without knowing the cap implications based on how the offer is structured. I'm guessing front loaded since the Panthers know we have cap problems this year.

Read somewhere today that the Rams are being visited by some FA tight ends this week. Given how we use the position, I'd take a reliable blocking tight end with some limited ability to catch a ball or two once in a while.

Comment

Mark Bruener would be a good pickup for the Rams. He's like a sixth offensive lineman--he's that good a blocker--but the Steelers no longer have use for him because they've shifted to being a passing team and wanted a receiving tight end. Since the Rams don't throw to the tight end much anyway and since their pass protection schemes are seriously flawed, Bruener would be a terrific signing.

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Mar 5 2004, 09:25 PM
                  I think they'd be stupid to match Carolina's offer. Brandon was too unreliable. Granted, they were moving him around this year between tight end and fullback but I would expect a 300 pound tight end to be able to block consistently. To me, Martz' offense doesn't place much emphasis on tight end so I would rather have a solid blocker which they may be able to find in the later rounds. I agree with the other posts about CB. If there's a good one on the board, they should grab him. While Fisher and Butler were adequate this year, there's always room to upgrade at that position.
                  "My name is Pussy Galore."
                  "I must be dreaming."

Official Sponsor of Scott Rolen

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Mar 5 2004, 09:33 PM
                    Mark Bruener would be a good pickup for the Rams. He's like a sixth offensive lineman--he's that good a blocker--but the Steelers no longer have use for him because they've shifted to being a passing team and wanted a receiving tight end. Since the Rams don't throw to the tight end much anyway and since their pass protection schemes are seriously flawed, Bruener would be a terrific signing.
                    Believe I read that he is one of the TE free agents visiting the Rams this week or next.

I'm not asking for much out of the position other than some decent blocking. Not like we were getting much from the tight end position anyway.

Comment

Picked this up from the STL site on the Rams tight end situation:

The Rams currently don't have a tight end under contract. Last year's backup, Cam Cleeland, is an unrestricted free agent whom the team is trying to re-sign.

But the Rams are taking no chances. Even before the Rams received the Manumaleuna offer sheet Friday afternoon from Carolina, they were lining up visits from free-agent tight ends.

Kansas City's Jason Dunn, Pittsburgh's Mark Bruener, and San Francisco's Jed Weaver are among the tight ends scheduled to visit Rams Park next week
                      http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...+to+offer+sheet

Comment

Working...
                      X