Question on McGwire...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on McGwire...

If Mac was juicing...why did he have andro?...why do you need andro if your juicing?

And if he just had it there as a "mask"...why was he so defensive when it was discovered?

Why didn't he just say "Yeah, I use it, it's legal, bite my ass"?
    " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Originally posted by _STLfan_in_DFW@Mar 5 2004, 08:32 PM
    If Mac was juicing...why did he have andro?...why do you need andro if your juicing?

And if he just had it there as a "mask"...why was he so defensive when it was discovered?

Androstiendione is an steroid-like agent the helps increase the production of testosterone...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Andro by itself may have just been one of the several pieces of the puzzle. Most of us have heard of creatine which helps builds muscle mass and that too is just one of pieces of the puzzle.

juicing as you call it has many components -

You don't take one thing one day and all of a sudden you are strong as an ox - there is a cumulative effect over a period of time -

It also involves work outs and recovery. You can't just take a pill and get better. It allows you to do more than you could by just working out - it adds on to your workouts by giving you an ability to do more - which in turn allows you to produce more. So a guy who could lift 200 lbs maximum is now able to left 210 - 220. This 5% to 10% now makes him 5% to 10% better which at the elite level can take him from being an average player to a very good one or a very good one to an elite player.

Ben Johnson - went from a world class fringe sprinter to the fastest man ever - through hard work and steroids.

Athletic ability - as well as intelligence - works on a bell curve. That is the majority of people are in the middle and towards the ends things get thin on both ends. You have very few people with very little athletic ability and very few with superb athletic ability. Most of us fit right under the big middle. So if you are already someone with superb athletic ability a 5 to 10 percent gain is huge.

So what you take to "juice" is all designed to a) add either muscle mass to allow you to produce more or B) improve your recovery ability to allow you to train more - which will allow you to produce more.

Now once you have trained as well as you could and improved your body to the best it can be - there are other things that can improve your performance on any given day. Diet is important but also in the case of endurance events you can blood dope or take stimulants. The stimulants are designed to temporarily allow the body to overide natural threshholds of pain and fatigue.
      Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
      God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by _STLfan_in_DFW@Mar 5 2004, 08:32 PM

MAybe that was his ploy.

He took roids, put that in his locker in plain sight, when media saw it, they questioned him, he snapped.

That was to divert attention from the roids he was really taking.

The above statements gives big mac too much credit and intelligence
        Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Without question, Mac was on the juice. He got out just in time. I have no respect for him, and I believe his signing signified the end of the Cards' chances to win it all in this cycle. Houses built on sand don't last.

Moe
          The Dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by Moe_Szyslak@Mar 5 2004, 11:56 PM
            Without question, Mac was on the juice. He got out just in time. I have no respect for him, and I believe his signing signified the end of the Cards' chances to win it all in this cycle. Houses built on sand don't last.

Moe
            I agree with most of that, but its unfair to say his signing was the end of the chances.

Rolen stays healthy, we beat the Angels in 2002.

Comment

Originally posted by JackSparrow+Mar 6 2004, 12:06 AM-->
              QUOTE(JackSparrow @ Mar 6 2004, 12:06 AM)

So that signing didnt really kill us in terms of chances of winnings.

Only when he was in town? Is that what you mean?

If so, I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by JackSparrow@Mar 6 2004, 12:24 AM
                So that signing didnt really kill us in terms of chances of winnings.

Only when he was in town? Is that what you mean?

If so, I agree.
                He was a circus act. More about the show than winning. Style over substance. The Mac era is/was the opposite of the Moneyball idea that carried the Angels and Marlins to the last two World Championships. It is the demarcation point for the Redbirds' decline, just at the KT trade marked the end of the Blues' hopes...

Moe
                The Dude abides.

Comment

Captain Jack,

I thought the Cards had it made in 2001.

Then the Squire intervened.
                  And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Maybe steroids are the right way to go, but only if everyone is on them will it be fair.

Mandatory testing -- 30 game suspension if a player tests negative.

More beanballs too. :angry:
                    Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

Thanks for the responses, gents.

Was just curious on the general opinions.

I don't know enough about any of that junk - I guess I just assumed if he were using steroids, the andro wouldn't have been necessary.

Schwahalala may be correct, though, and maybe the andro was one part of a much bigger puzzle.
                      " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Working...
                      X