Cheerleaders against Martha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheerleaders against Martha

Leftists usually show their true signs. Whenever a rich person needs to get it, lefties don't even care if it's the evil Bush/Ashcroft Justice doing their bidding.

Some of you guys who are falling over yourselves bashing Martha Stewart need to ponder some of this. Note especially the words of lefty hero Alan Dershowitz.

(BTW, Kev - you are no libertarian.)

Happy reading for those who bother.

Studies show Americans close to being the worst educated and least aware population among first-world countries. Americans easily stumble into war and give up their rights because of exaggerated fears of terrorists and criminals. Americans have been losing accountable government, liberty and justice for a long time. At some point these values become irretrievable.

Consider justice. The US has the highest rate of incarceration in the world and imprisons 6 to 10 times as many people as any other industrialized country. Between 1990 and 2000 the US population increased 13%. The US prison population more than tripled.

There are hundreds of thousands of innocent Americans in prison. They are there because the criminal justice system no longer works to discover the truth of a crime, but to convict at all cost whoever happens to be charged with a crime. And they are there because the US criminalizes more acts than any other country in the world, including tyrannical police states.

In the US there are three categories of prisoners: the guilty, the innocent, and those convicted as a result of prosecutors’ interpretations of vague and broad statutes that deem conduct to be criminal that reasonable people – and every other country – do not recognize to be criminal.

For example, in the Martha Stewart case, the prosecutor criminalized her exercise of her constitutional right to declare her innocence. He said it constituted fraud for her to declare her innocence and tacked on the charge. Remember that if you ever stand before a judge.

- Paul Craig Roberts
    I caught Alan Dershowitz defending Martha Stewart on ABC tv this morning. Most Americans who pay any attention at all to the news of her trial think she is being charged with insider trading. She is not. She is accused of asserting her innocence to federal prosecutors who accused her of insider trading. She is on trial for allegedly lying about her innocence.

Think about that. The Constituton supposedly gives us the presumption of innocence. A federal bureaucrat shows up and says, in effect, "We haven't defined insider trading yet, Mrs. Stewart, but we think you're guilty of it and should go to prison for it." Marth says "I'm innocent" and for that she's prosecuted.

Dershowittz was right on the money when he announced on ABC, "This is like the Soviet Union!"

- Thomas DiLorenzo
    Now, to Martha. The feds were looking for scapegoats for the stock market crash caused by "the fed." Also, there are a lot of federal bureaucrats out there with free-floating hostility toward people who work for a living. They are called U. S. Attorneys, who, judging by prison statistics, specialize in prosecuting people for victimless crimes. Also, every federal prosecutor envisions himself ensconced in the U. S. Senate in a few years and to that end it is always helpful to destroy the life of someone famous. Combine these malevolent motives and add in one famous businesswoman friendly with the previous administration and the result is an expensive and highly-publicized investigation over nothing.

As I wrote last August, Martha Stewart was not guilty of insider trading; she was "guilty" of outsider trading, which is perfectly legal. Nevertheless, she was investigated by people who are virtually immune from suit. They investigate, prosecute and ruin lives because they can get away with it. Martha did commit a serious crime during the investigation. She refused to be intimidated; she refused to grovel; she refused to take a plea. The feds can’t stand it when anyone stands up to them. It’s an attitude they copped after the confederates kicked them out of Charleston harbor in 1861.

But the feds faced a small problem. Martha was not guilty. What to do? Apologize and offer to pay her legal fees? Not a chance. They needed the scalp of a non-friend-of-George. They plunged forward, playing the old perjury trap game. You go after someone who has done nothing wrong in the hope of getting them to lie so they can be charged with perjury or lying to the government. Funny – when people lie to the government, it’s a crime; when government lies to the people, it’s just another day at the office

- James Ostrowski

Originally posted by King in KC@Mar 5 2004, 07:13 PM
    (BTW, Kev - you are no libertarian.)

If I'm not a libertarian, am I a leftist or right wing?
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Mar 5 2004, 07:15 PM

If I'm not a libertarian, am I a leftist or right wing?
      That's for you to decide.

But your instincts are not libertarian - at least not when you are cheering for Greenspan (that alone would disqualify you) and joining the mob against Martha Stewart.

What, in your libertarian words, did she do wrong?

Comment

King,

In regards to Martha. I admit to making lesbian-prison jokes about her. But, I do think she's being made a convienent scapegoat. I mentioned those Enron clowns, led by Ken Lay, have done much more serious damage to more people, than Martha.

In regards to Greenspan. He recognizes the fact that we cannot continue to run a deficit revenue to spending ratio within our governmental framework. He has ths balls to speak out on the waste basket known as Social Security.
        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Mar 5 2004, 07:25 PM
          King,

In regards to Martha. I admit to making lesbian-prison jokes about her. But, I do think she's being made a convienent scapegoat. I mentioned those Enron clowns, led by Ken Lay, have done much more serious damage to more people, than Martha.

In regards to Greenspan. He recognizes the fact that we cannot continue to run a deficit revenue to spending ratio within our governmental framework. He has ths balls to speak out on the waste basket known as Social Security.
          Remember the "something for nothing" thread?

Who is the single biggest enabler in the "something for nothing" scheme run by the US government?

Hint: It's not Martha Stewart.

Comment

What ever happened to...

"INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GULITY"??

Seems it does not apply to people of wealth...

Comment

If you're going to put "cheerleaders" in the headline, there had better be pictures on this inside. =/
              When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by Indu WangZi@Mar 5 2004, 07:32 PM
                What ever happened to...

"INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GULITY"??

Seems it does not apply to people of wealth...
                Not when jurors are chosen based on their stupidity.

Here's what Paul Craig Roberts is refering to about Americans being the worst educated and least aware people on the earth (a quote from one of the jurors):

"Maybe it's a victory for the little guys who lose money in the market because of these kinds of transactions," said juror Chappell Hartridge.

God help us all. A "victory for the little guy" is now the standard in courtrooms.

Comment

King,

Only if the rich people are white.

If they're OJ & Company, they walk.

It's the worst of both worlds.

Murderers go free - domestic divas find the slammer.
                  And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

King,

Are you arguing that obstruction of justice, conspiracy, and making false statements shouldn't be crimes? Martha Stewart began a cover-up operation WAY before the Feds got involved. If she came clean on what she really did, you wouldn't have your argument. And the prosecutors probably would have a securities fraud case.

These posts pervert and simplify the whole situation to be, Martha says she's innocent -- let's prosecute her for that. Huh?

She wasn't convicted on insider trading, and won't serve the seven years Waksal is. That's a harder case to prove. But they did convict her on what they could.

Now, whether or not the jurors were on a vendetta is another matter. Some of their quotes are disturbing, and that's fully open to debate -- celebrity trials in America. But maybe if Martha didn't try to COVER UP her activities, she wouldn't be in this mess. Or maybe she would be in it worse.
                    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Furthermore, Martha Stewart had the chance to defend HERSELF in court. She chose not to. Why wasn't she pleading her innocence then, to the 12 people who really matter?

If my butt's ever in line for the hoosegow, there's only one person I trust to defend my interests to the full maximum of the law -- myself.
                      The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Working...
                      X