Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken Venturi: Arnold Palmer cheated

http://tsn.ca/golf/news_story.asp?id=75078

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

The same thing happened to me during a miniature golf tournament on vacation.

I'll put that in my book too.
    And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Mar 5 2004, 06:15 PM
      The same thing happened to me during a miniature golf tournament on vacation.

I'll put that in my book too.
      Me too. I had an embedded ball in the clown's teeth and there was no one around to appeal so I just played a provisional ball and SANK IT!
      RIP Stan the Man
      The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
      I miss TLR!

Comment

This is huge - much bigger than the steroid thing - I think Palmer should have to give back all his trophies - that guy Venturi should get them all because it obviously ruined his life - and all 15 fans who where watching GOLF at that time should get their money back. My whole world has changed.
        Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
        God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

That makes Arnie and me similar type golfers.....I cheat too.
          Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

I use the foot wedge a lot when I golf.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala@Mar 5 2004, 09:23 PM
              This is huge - much bigger than the steroid thing - I think Palmer should have to give back all his trophies - that guy Venturi should get them all because it obviously ruined his life - and all 15 fans who where watching GOLF at that time should get their money back. My whole world has changed.
              This actually is a big deal considered the sport is based on a strict honors system and respect for not only the opponent, but the rules of the game...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

And if Venturi won the Masters that year Palmer "cheated" we wouldn't hear a thing about this.

The course official allowed it. Blame him for the supposed violation of the rule.

Comment

my favorite club would be the hand wedge. It's quite a simple club to use, but you can only use it if you've made 2 failed efforts to get out of a greenside trap.

I should actually look up the specific rule applying to what constitutes a legal swing. Do you NEED to use a backswing? I ask because last summer I was struggling badly out of the sand and i started using no backswing at all. I started about 3 inches back from the ball and pretty much just shovelled it out. Worked well, probably mad illegal.
                  First Fan of the Halifax IceBreakers!

Comment

Originally posted by 007+Mar 5 2004, 10:16 PM-->
                    QUOTE(007 @ Mar 5 2004, 10:16 PM)

If Venturi's account is accurate, it is a big deal and clearly a violation of the rule. Golf is totally unique in that the rules are self-enforced. The integrity of the game rests on the players. If one cheated, as Arnie may have, he deserves to be called out.

BTW, I am an Arnie fan...

Moe
                    The Dude abides.

Comment

Sounds like he clearly cheated if he didn't first say he was playing two balls.
                      Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

I often just pick the ball up and throw the bastard.

But that's only when near sand and water hazzards.
                        Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

boo-fucking-hoo...

Two years earlier, Venturi blew a chance to win the Masters with an 80 in the final round.
                          whiney-ass loser...

. . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
                          -mike
                          mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

Comment

Originally posted by JackSparrow@Mar 6 2004, 12:45 AM
                            I often just pick the ball up and throw the bastard.

But that's only when near sand and water hazzards.
                            reminds me of a story:

We were playing a cute little course over in southern illinois...can't remember exactly which one...anyways, Par 3...about 160-ish, over water...I must've drown a dozen balls in that fucker with 5 & 4 irons...eventually, I say fuck it, and decide to throw it across...splash!...

...i just walked around to the next tee and marked it a 5...
                            . . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
                            -mike
                            mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

Comment

Working...
                            X