49ers miraculously re-sign Ahmed Plummer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 49ers miraculously re-sign Ahmed Plummer

I'm shocked. Everything seemed to indicate that Plummer wanted to leave the Niners and wanted to play somewhere in the midwest. But the Niners kept him with a five-year deal that includes an $11 million signing bonus. They lost Jason Webster to Atlanta but Webster didn't start last year because of injuries so I'm not too worried about him.

What does this mean for the Niners? It means that 2004 is no longer a throw away year. They're going to be bringing back almost their entire defense, and they should have a pretty decent running game. I don't like Tim Rattay but with the returns of Plummer and John Engelberger, the Niners well may have the best defense in the NFC West.

In other news, Tampa Bay signed Jon Stinchcomb and Miami signed Jeno James. Good signings by both teams.

The Steelers re-signed Clark Haggans, which probably means Jason Gildon will be released on June 1.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1751883

WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Donahue pulled it off...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Donahue still hasn't shown any ability when it comes to identifying talent...but at least he's keeping the defensive talent Walsh acquired together and kept Barlow (another Walsh pick).

Let's see what happens with Brandon Lloyd, Kwame Harris, Anthony Adams, and the 2004 draft. He has three picks in the top 51 selections (most of any team) so he's got a chance to prove his worth.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Mar 5 2004, 05:47 PM
        Donahue still hasn't shown any ability when it comes to identifying talent...but at least he's keeping the defensive talent Walsh acquired together and kept Barlow (another Walsh pick).

Let's see what happens with Brandon Lloyd, Kwame Harris, Anthony Adams, and the 2004 draft. He has three picks in the top 51 selections (most of any team) so he's got a chance to prove his worth.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by 007+Mar 5 2004, 05:48 PM-->
          QUOTE(007 @ Mar 5 2004, 05:48 PM)

Originally posted by bigJOE+Mar 5 2004, 05:49 PM-->
          QUOTE(bigJOE @ Mar 5 2004, 05:49 PM)
          Originally posted by [email protected] 5 2004, 05:48 PM

I hope Donahue is smart enough to use two of those three picks on defense. I'm hoping Wilfork will fall to 16. I think he's the Ted Washington of the next generation.

Donahue definitely seems to be one of the general managers who has accepted that building a strong defense is far more important than building a strong offense in this era.

Comment

Working...
          X