Kerry & the 'Special Interest' Hit Piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kerry & the 'Special Interest' Hit Piece

One of the new rules of modern campaign coverage is to tailor a script to each candidate and squeeze developments into that script whatever the facts really are. In 2000, the prevailing script promoted George W. Bush as the blunt straight-shooter and belittled Al Gore as the delusional liar, even if journalists had to change Gore’s words (as with the Love Canal case, “invented the Internet,” etc.) and downplay examples of Bush deceptions.

A new case in point for Campaign 2004 is the portrayal of Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts as a captive of Washington “special interests.” This theme has been gaining momentum even though Kerry ranks as a leader in the Senate in supporting environmental causes and is best known for his investigations into foreign policy scandals, such as drug trafficking by CIA-backed Nicaraguan “contra” rebels, not for pushing through corporate-favored legislation.

So what gives? Is this a fair charge against the Democratic front-runner or is it another case of the news media crafting a misleading theme?

MORE

Mr. G

Yeah, that Sierra Club is sure no special interest.
    And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

But, but, but, but, but........they're the good guys.

Kerry gets a lot of money from lobbyists, but I'm sure they're all well-intentioned. Now, the money Bush gets is primarily from corporate fatcats who hate the poor and minorities and women and trees and children and AIDS victims and puppies.
      I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser@Feb 20 2004, 12:31 PM

Kerry gets a lot of money from lobbyists, but I'm sure they're all well-intentioned. Now, the money Bush gets is primarily from corporate fatcats who hate the poor and minorities and women and trees and children and AIDS victims and puppies.
        and stuff
        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

kaiser,

Excellent summary.

But, there's no media bias.

You know that, don't you?
          And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

Comment

Damtoft:

I believe there is some bias both ways. But just once, before his coronation, I'd like some member of the media, at least one person, to actually pin down Kerry concerning who the hell he means when he decries "special interests."

Kerry's campaign is the politics of the vague.
            I'm always right.

Comment

We all know who he means.

His contributors are special interests at all, they just want to do the right thing.

Comment

Damtoft:
                His contributors are special interests at all, they just want to do the right thing.

kaiser: I'd like some member of the media, at least one person, to actually pin down Kerry concerning who the hell he means when he decries "special interests."
                Let me explain, in terms you should understand:

Campaign contribution money is the necessary fuel that powers our democratic elections. It becomes (dirty) special interest money, with it's negative implications-- when, for instance, it is used to buy blatant political influence by, for instance, inserting, or burying a few favorable provisions in newly drafted legislation!

A example of "special interest" money buying a political favor would be the recently passed Medicare Reform bill, whereby the clause was inserted making it against the law for the federal government to try to negotiate volume discount prices (the pharmaceutical industry wanted to make sure the government paid the going, exorbitant, rate.)

Billy Tauzin R-La., the chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, who led the fight to keep price controls out the new Medicare prescription has decided to retire from Congress and will go to work for the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America at a reported $2 million annual salary.

Shame, shame, shame, Bush people!
                Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

Comrade Nikolai,

And citizens should have the right to petition their government for redress of grievances?

Yes or no?

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Feb 20 2004, 12:32 PM
                    kaiser,

Excellent summary.

But, there's no media bias.

You know that, don't you?
                    WTF are you talking about this time? The article Mr. Golie posted gives examples of how the mainstream media is showing bias AGAINST Kerry and for Bush.

Do you even read what you type, or do you just spourt out catch phrases at random?
                    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Originally posted by nick2@Feb 20 2004, 01:49 PM
                      Damtoft:

kaiser: I'd like some member of the media, at least one person, to actually pin down Kerry concerning who the hell he means when he decries "special interests."
                      Let me explain, in terms you should understand:

Campaign contribution money is the necessary fuel that powers our democratic elections. It becomes (dirty) special interest money, with it's negative implications-- when, for instance, it is used to buy blatant political influence by, for instance, inserting, or burying a few favorable provisions in newly drafted legislation!

A example of "special interest" money buying a political favor would be the recently passed Medicare Reform bill, whereby the clause was inserted making it against the law for the federal government to try to negotiate volume discount prices (the pharmaceutical industry wanted to make sure the government paid the going, exorbitant, rate.)

Billy Tauzin R-La., the chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, who led the fight to keep price controls out the new Medicare prescription has decided to retire from Congress and will go to work for the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America at a reported $2 million annual salary.

Shame, shame, shame, Bush people!
                      Oh, so it's special interests when "Bush people" do it.

What about when a politician helps someone attain a position right after getting a donation? Is that wrong too?
                      "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser@Feb 20 2004, 12:31 PM

I hate puppies too!
                        Are you on the list?

Comment

Trollfunctions,

Trying to make the thread about me again.

Comment

Nick, thanks for clearing that up for all of us.
                            I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Feb 20 2004, 02:07 PM
                              Trollfunctions,

Trying to make the thread about me again.
                              Nope - once again I'm trying to get you to elaborate on one of your asinine, poorly articulated statements, and, once again, you refuse to back up your statements and result to insults.
                              2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Working...
                              X