Going to LA in a couple weeks, anyone got any

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to LA in a couple weeks, anyone got any

B) I know the usual stuff. I'm talking about off the charts kind of places. I've never been so I'd appreciate any input. Thanks

Matt
    "They misunderestimated me."
    Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and principles, come and join this campaign."
    -Hilton Head, S.C., Feb. 16, 2000

Gives you the warm fuzzies, doesn't it?

Eat a Double Double from In N Out Burger. Get one of their tee shirts.

Skip the fries.
    Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

There's place called "Disneyland" in Anaheim. Check it out.

Comment

Drive down to Dana Point.
        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

A bit south of there is an area I like--Laguna Beach, Irvine, Newport Beach. Been years since I have been there but it makes you feel like you are not even in a metro area.
          Sponsor of:
          Brian Elliott
          Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
          5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

I had a lot of fun in Newport Beach.

I think.
            Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by ReggieCleveland@Mar 5 2004, 01:15 PM
              There's place called "Disneyland" in Anaheim. Check it out.
              No shit sherlock. Thanks for nothing smartass. <_<

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and principles, come and join this campaign."

Comment

The Silent Movie Theater, on Fairfax Avenue.

But they don't run movies very often anymore, so you probably won't be able to see one.

Comment

Originally posted by kah2523@Mar 5 2004, 04:34 PM
                  The Silent Movie Theater, on Fairfax Avenue.

But they don't run movies very often anymore, so you probably won't be able to see one.
                  Huh?
                  Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev+Mar 5 2004, 04:35 PM-->
                    QUOTE(The Kev @ Mar 5 2004, 04:35 PM)

Find Devaskar and have him take you on a sorority house panty raid....

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Originally posted by steveInebriated@Mar 5 2004, 04:53 PM
                      Find Devaskar and have him take you on a sorority house panty raid....
                      If I can get the wife to go to bed early one night I'm game. :P

Comment

Matt:

I'm not a panty raid kind of guy!

Anyway, what kind of things do you like to do? Are you a fan of the nightclubs and bars? Do you want to check out the Hollywood scene? Good shopping areas? Or are you looking for really "tourist" kind of attractions?

Let me know what sorts of things you're hoping to do and enjoy doing and I'll give you some recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Mar 5 2004, 05:10 PM
                          Matt:

I'm not a panty raid kind of guy!

Anyway, what kind of things do you like to do? Are you a fan of the nightclubs and bars? Do you want to check out the Hollywood scene? Good shopping areas? Or are you looking for really "tourist" kind of attractions?

Let me know what sorts of things you're hoping to do and enjoy doing and I'll give you some recommendations.
                          I know the wife would like to check out at least one good night club for dancing. But not one where everyone is on X or I have to worry about being shot. Were going to Universal because the tickets came with the trip. We're also going to a taping of the price is right. Other than that I'd like to check out someplace with good live music (of the Pearl Jam variety) and maybe go to that chinese theatre and check that out. If you know of some cood quirky places off the beaten path I'd love to hear about them.

Comment

The best places with live music are the House of Blues and the Troubador. The House of Blues is on Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood and the Troubador is on Santa Monica Blvd. The Troubador has a $20 cover. If you go to the House of Blues, you need tickets to get in. Sometimes they have up and coming bands but sometimes bands that have made it big play there too. Here is their website, from where you can order tickets and see the concert schedule: http://hob.com/venues/clubvenues/sunsetstrip/

A cheap place to go for live music is a place called Westwood Brewery, which is near the UCLA campus. But it's a place for up-and-coming bands. No one famous will ever play there. There's no charge to go there.

For dance clubs, go to Hollywood and there are all sorts of places. Hollywood is the best place to go for nightlife in LA and it's very safe as long as you're not walking alone. But be prepared to pay a $20 cover almost everywhere.

(The only places that aren't particularly safe are Compton/South Central and downtown when there's no Kings/Lakers/Clippers game going on. Downtown LA is always dead if there's no game going on.)

Mann's Chinese Theater is in Hollywood, on Hollywood Blvd. There's all sorts of touristy sorts of places there, like the Hollywood Wax Museum, the Ripley's Believe it or Not place, and the Guiness Book of Records museum. And that's also where you'll find a lot of nightclubs to go to. There's a combination bowling alley/bar right next to Mann's Chinese Theater that's a very popular place at night. There's no cover and Hollywood celebrities show up pretty regularly. And it's more of a bar/nightclub than it is a bowling alley.

I'll also recommend a great seafood restaurant (if you like seafood): Duke's. It's on the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu, right on the Pacific Ocean. Great place for a romantic evening with the wife and great food.

Comment

Working...
                            X