Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadband over Power Lines?

What a windfall for the electric companies

Their network is virtually in place already because if you have electricity to your home, you can get this service. DSL and cable modem aren't available everywhere.

First I've heard of this.
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

I saw this on Channel Four last night, they said there'd be much more info in the Post on Friday (today.)

Competition is good. Especially for the consumer.
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Last I read this was still years away...and it had some serious integrity problems.....but could be a VERY lucrative proposition for power companies.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

The communications companies have already tested this on a relatively small scale. It's those small home networks that transfer the data via your household electrical outlets. It was only a matter of time and cost before this moved from the home to the power lines.

Comment

It may be years away, but at least someone is trying to make a buck off of it.

It may keep cable and DSL companies on their toes -- and wary of sticking their hands *too* deep in our pockets.
          When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Anything that brings about more competition and hopefully lower pricing is alright by me.

The interesting thing about this is that it sounds like there is no limit to the speed this could reach. It also sounds like they're having some success with the problems they've had with the electrical signal interfering with the digital signal.

Comment

Gimme a T3 for 39.99 a month and I'm in heaven.

Comment

A T3?

Geez, what are you running out of your house - a call center for people to call and bitch about FedEx?

Comment

Speaking of FedEx -- and I know everyone is dying to know more -- I'm going to post an update today.

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Mar 5 2004, 10:05 AM
                    A T3?

Geez, what are you running out of your house - a call center for people to call and bitch about FedEx?
                    It's a FedEx Whore Support Group.

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Mar 5 2004, 10:07 AM
                      Speaking of FedEx -- and I know everyone is dying to know more -- I'm going to post an update today.
                      We all know Kaiser has your computer. No update needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card@Mar 5 2004, 09:57 AM
                        The communications companies have already tested this on a relatively small scale. It's those small home networks that transfer the data via your household electrical outlets. It was only a matter of time and cost before this moved from the home to the power lines.
                        Have you tried one of these?

I worked in computer retail when they came out and we couldn't sell them for one reason: they don't work reliably.

The internet relys on reliability, and that's what's going to hold up this technology.
                        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                        MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                        The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Mar 5 2004, 10:07 AM
                          I am honestly looking forward to this.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Mar 5 2004, 10:10 AM-->
                            QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Mar 5 2004, 10:10 AM)

Originally posted by Iowa_Card+Mar 5 2004, 10:42 AM-->
                            QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Mar 5 2004, 10:42 AM)
                            Originally posted by [email protected] 5 2004, 10:10 AM
                          Working...
                          X