• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sillinger deal doesn't mean Blues are buyers

Sillinger deal doesn't necessarily mean Blues are buyers
    By R.B. Fallstrom
    Associated Press
    03/04/2004

Five days before the NHL trade deadline, the St. Louis Blues still haven't decided whether they're buyers or sellers.

The Blues entered Thursday's game against the Oilers in ninth place in the Western Conference, four points out of a playoff spot. Though the team made a minor move on Thursday, acquiring center Mike Sillinger from the Phoenix Coyotes for goalie Brent Johnson, it still hasn't declared its intentions.

"You get some interesting phone calls wondering, I can tell you that," general manager Larry Pleau said. "I think on our side, I think everyone is still trying to figure out exactly where they are.

"We're all doing what we have to do."

While not tipping his hand, Pleau said that defenseman Chris Pronger is not for sale. The team plans to qualify Pronger, eligible for restricted free agency, at $9.5 million when his contract expires this summer.

Pleau said two of his objectives ahead of the March 9 deadline have been to acquire some help for the third or fourth line, and to add offense. The deal for the well-traveled Sillinger, among the better faceoff men in the NHL, took care of the first item on the wish list.

He said, though, that the deal was made more because of injuries than a playoff push. Forward Eric Boguniecki (neck) is on injured reserve and forward Mike Danton (shoulder) was injured in Tuesday's 4-2 loss to the Flames. The Blues also recalled rookie forward Peter Sejna, a disappointment at the start of the season, for Thursday's game.

Pleau said the team wouldn't be struggling to extend its playoff streak of 24 straight seasons, the longest in professional sports, if high-paid stars Keith Tkachuk, Doug Weight and Pavol Demitra were more of a factor.

"We'd like to still do something, if we can," Pleau said. "We're working on it every day. The best thing for us is if our three big guys step up and help out more, as I've said all along."

Sillinger is expected to join the team for Saturday's game at the Islanders.

"I think he's a versatile player, and I think he gives the coaches some options," Pleau said. "He can definitely help us on penalty killing and he's got some quickness."

Johnson has been at Worcester of the AHL since clearing waivers in mid-January. He became the first goalie in NHL history to record shutouts in his first three postseason appearances in 2002, but has been plagued by inconsistency since then.

"I wish him all the luck in the world," Pleau said. "I wish Johnny all the best."

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Seems like the trades pleau has made were, so far, for players we were pining for 4, 5 years ago. Sillinger and Weinrich would have been fantastic pickups--a few years ago.
    First Fan of the Halifax IceBreakers!

Comment

"You get some interesting phone calls wondering, I can tell you that," general manager Larry Pleau said. "I think on our side, I think everyone is still trying to figure out exactly where they are.
      Including you, Larry.
      RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
      You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

This is my favorite quote:

Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Originally posted by CSD@Mar 4 2004, 09:05 PM
          This is my favorite quote:

He's a keeper, ain't he? :angry:

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I'll take 'Typical Bullshit from the motherfucker who should have gotten the Axe instead of Coach Q' for $800 Alex?
            Are you on the list?

Comment

Working...
            X