Howard Stern's Political Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard Stern's Political Conversion

I'm not Stern fan. I think his show is obnoxious and obscene and bad for society. That said, I thought this was very interesting. Stern has a huge influence on his listeners - if he really rails against Bush this year, could it affect the election? I think so, because a lot of Stern's listeners are young guys who might not vote
    otherwise or might be Conservatives that Stern can convert.

Any Stern fans here have any insight?

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/03/...ern/index1.html

Stern's political conversion came on Monday, Feb. 23, when he returned to the show after a week's vacation and announced he'd read Al Franken's anti-Bush book, "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right." That morning Stern, who had strongly backed Bush during the war on Iraq, told listeners, "If you read this book, you will never vote for George W. Bush. I think this guy is a religious fanatic and a Jesus freak, and he is just hell-bent on getting some sort of bizzaro agenda through -- like a country-club agenda -- so that his father will finally be proud of him ... I don't know much about Kerry, but I think I'm one of those 'Anybody but Bush' guys now. I don't think G.W. is going to win. What do you think about that?"

Three days later, on the morning of Feb. 26, Stern was suspended from all six Clear Channel stations that aired his wake-up program. Company executives pointed to the Tuesday show as the reason for the suspension. During that program Stern interviewed Rick Solomon, who had starred in a sex tape with Paris Hilton. The conversation was graphic (Stern: "I can't believe you banged her. Did you get anal?"), and one caller used a racial slur that was broadcast. But Stern's shows are filled with such language and have been for years.

On Monday, March 2, Stern was telling his vast audience he took a hit because of his stance on Bush.
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Originally posted by Trigfunctions@Mar 4 2004, 11:31 AM
    I'm not Stern fan. I think his show is obnoxious and obscene and bad for society. That said, I thought this was very interesting. Stern has a huge influence on his listeners - if he really rails against Bush this year, could it affect the election? I think so, because a lot of Stern's listeners are young guys who might not vote
    otherwise or might be Conservatives that Stern can convert.

Any Stern fans here have any insight?

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2004/03/...ern/index1.html

Stern's political conversion came on Monday, Feb. 23, when he returned to the show after a week's vacation and announced he'd read Al Franken's anti-Bush book, "Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right." That morning Stern, who had strongly backed Bush during the war on Iraq, told listeners, "If you read this book, you will never vote for George W. Bush. I think this guy is a religious fanatic and a Jesus freak, and he is just hell-bent on getting some sort of bizzaro agenda through -- like a country-club agenda -- so that his father will finally be proud of him ... I don't know much about Kerry, but I think I'm one of those 'Anybody but Bush' guys now. I don't think G.W. is going to win. What do you think about that?"

Three days later, on the morning of Feb. 26, Stern was suspended from all six Clear Channel stations that aired his wake-up program. Company executives pointed to the Tuesday show as the reason for the suspension. During that program Stern interviewed Rick Solomon, who had starred in a sex tape with Paris Hilton. The conversation was graphic (Stern: "I can't believe you banged her. Did you get anal?"), and one caller used a racial slur that was broadcast. But Stern's shows are filled with such language and have been for years.

On Monday, March 2, Stern was telling his vast audience he took a hit because of his stance on Bush.
    You're counting on a lot of Stern listeners to be able to read...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by 007@Mar 4 2004, 11:32 AM

You're counting on a lot of Stern listeners to be able to read...
      :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Howard Stern scares me infinitely more than any politician ever could.

Comment

There's no question that Stern and FearChannel's actions will negatively effect Bush's re-election campaign.

Whether or not you like Stern, his listeners are puppets. They'll do whatever he want's them to...and there's MILLIONS of them.
          Official Lounge Sponsor of:
          MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
          The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

I dont want to have to do the search.

I was out of town when this was on the news.

What was the deal with him getting booted off the air?

What did he do this time? How serious is it?

Thanks
            Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Originally posted by JackSparrow@Mar 4 2004, 11:35 AM

Thanks
              He didn't do anything. The President of Fear Channel pulled the show and has not given a reason.

They are in violation of their contract, so this is not close to being over.
              Official Lounge Sponsor of:
              MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
              The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by JackSparrow@Mar 4 2004, 11:35 AM

Thanks
                He's not off the air though. He's been removed from some markets by ClearChannel, not sure why just some though. For example, he's still on in STL.
                Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Mar 4 2004, 11:34 AM
                  Whether or not you like Stern, his listeners are puppets. They'll do whatever he want's them to...and there's MILLIONS of them.
                  I agree - I just hope the Dems can channel his anger at Bush into getting his listeners to vote for KErry.

Otherwise, I'm afraid of 10 millions write in votes for BabaBooey.
                  2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigfunctions+Mar 4 2004, 11:48 AM-->
                    QUOTE(Trigfunctions @ Mar 4 2004, 11:48 AM)

Originally posted by Trigfunctions@Mar 4 2004, 11:31 AM
                    I think this guy is a religious fanatic and a Jesus freak, and he is just hell-bent on getting some sort of bizzaro agenda through -- like a country-club agenda -- so that his father will finally be proud of him ...
                    He's been taken off the air in some markets...a total of 7 overall, I believe. Markets such as Kentucky, Florida (surprise, eh, given his opposition of Bush), parts of Canada, etc.

His political leanings go a long way toward shifting views of November election voters.

However, his recent rant against Bush is the exact same thing he's been beating listeners over the head with (for the past week) concerning Mel Gibson, his father, and "The Passion of the Christ."

I think you have this particular quote misplaced in this particular instance. But, his opposition and disdain for the current administration is venomous in nature these days considering how much he backed Bush as late as one month ago.

The ironies of his dismissal from certain markets coupled with Janet's incident and his outspokeness is curious, to be sure. However, I've listened long enough to know the Howie is incapable of taking as he gives, and if you aren't kissing his ass or giving him massive credit, you run the risk of his vitriol.

Just ask Stuttering John and Jay Leno.
                    "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by slow groove@Mar 4 2004, 12:41 PM
                      But, his opposition and disdain for the current administration is venomous in nature these days considering how much he backed Bush as late as one month ago.
                      Do you think Stern will keep up the anti-Bush talk all the way until the election? Will he influence his listeners to vote against Bush?

Comment

If it takes Stern to win the election for Kerry, I would almost rather lose.

Comment

Isn't it stern himself who claims that 70% of his listeners hate him.

Stern will have very little impact. First and foremost he is capitalist.
                          Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

I listen to stern pretty regularly...i think the show is great for society...you can't find more open, honest discussion of sensitive subjects like race, religion and sexuality anywhere else...that, and "anal ring-toss"...
                            . . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
                            -mike
                            mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

Comment

Working...
                            X