POLL: Cows' Right to Vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL: Cows' Right to Vote

For the second year running, the woman from Newmarket, near Cambridge in eastern England, has listed two names on the registration form who turned out to be cows, East Cambridgeshire District Council said Thursday.

The previous year, in addition to registering two cows as "Henry and Sophie Bull," she listed "Jake Woofles," later found to be a dog, as eligible to vote in local government elections, the council said.

This year she indicated that her address had been split into two properties, that she resided in one part and that two other persons lived in the second, a council spokesman said. The persons she claimed lived in the second property were, in fact, her cows, the spokesman said.

Gould had been scheduled to appear at Ely Magistrates Court on Tuesday but did not arrive. She was convicted in her absence and ordered to pay a 100 pound (US$189) fine and 110 pounds (US$208) in costs.

"This was the second time that Mrs. Gould had given false information on electoral forms and so, regrettably, the council felt it was necessary to take action to prevent this abuse of the election system from continuing," said Maggie Camp, the council's senior legal assistant.

Gould later said she and her husband Barry had put the names down as a joke because they had been irritated when the council addressed a letter to the occupants of their barn.

"We ignored it and then someone came around to ask why we hadn't filled it in," she said.

"We just thought they were being stupid. So my husband said, 'if they want to know who's living in the barn we'll tell them.' So we did. We didn't tell any lies. We just put down the names of the animals.

"It was a joke that's all gone a bit haywire, really. We never thought it would come to this," she said. "I don't suppose we'll be doing it again."
    YES
    0%
    YES, but only for Local & State level elections.||
    0%
    . . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
    -mike
    mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

Hay! Did they vote in the pastures? I mean if they did vote last year, then why can't they vote in udder years?
    Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

That's udderly ridiculous.

Of course they should be allowed to vote. They're probably just as informed as a lot of other people who vote.
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Well they say a monkey with a red rosette could win for Labour in St. Helens. So maybe cows could provide valuable political votes.

Comment

Which party do cows tend to favor?
          Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU@Feb 20 2004, 09:53 AM
            As they like the fields I'm sure it would be Tory.

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU@Feb 20 2004, 09:53 AM
              Seems like Liberals would tend to have a greated vegitarian contingent, so they'd probably be swinging that way...
              . . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
              -mike
              mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

Comment

Probably the Green party.

The dairy cows are weird though. They tend to go against the other cows because they live longer.

I don't know though, this is really a trough question.
                Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl@Feb 20 2004, 09:58 AM
                  Probably the Green party.

The dairy cows are weird though. They tend to go against the other cows because they live longer.

I don't know though, this is really a trough question.
                  I honestly don't think it is a tough question. If you are brought up in the countryside at home, you are almost inevitably a Tory. This will stand pat for Cows too.

Comment

I don't know about cows, but lambs definately belong to the Baaaaathe party.
                    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

It's a moovement.
                      Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

As someone who religiously speaking believes cows to be sacred, I would most definitely support them getting a vote.

I just hope they're capable of looking at the candidates and the issues and don't just blindly vote for a specific party.

Comment

I vote medium well.
                          Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Working...
                          X