• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hadley on the Blues...his opinion as of today

Wednesday, March 3
    SHAMEFUL, JUST SHAMEFUL
    11:56:21 CST

NO SIMPLY STATED, NO MOI, JUST THE TRUTH

Last night proved a microcosm of the 2003-2004 Blues season.

Last night was an example of the consequences fastened tautly to individuals playing a team sport failing to meld as a unit.

While Chris Pronger was under physical barrage, the Calgary Flames paid no fare. When the game was on the line, the Flames top-tier players heightened their games at the expense of the Blues top-line players. When opportunity arose to standup and make a statement along the boards, the Blues grinders played a version of flag football on skates. In a game that offered many opportunities for atonement, the offenders passed on redemption.

I had a former NHL player call me while watching the game in Canada to ask, "How the hell do these characters allow their goalie to be pummeled and not respond?"

Osgood was run three times... the cost was free of charge.

The answer is simple... quitters, that is what happens when a team quits.

On a night that Scott Mellanby dug deep to produce, Mark Rycroft played with desired, Dallas Drake emptied the tank, Pronger worked to overcome the failure of teammates... this group of athletes yet again showed a complete lack of comprehension of "team."

What is most disturbing were the additions to the list of underachievers.

The stage was perfectly set for Keith Tkachuk to prove a dominant force in a clutch situation. The spotlight was ready to shine on Tkachuk taking control of this cast by leading on the ice.

Tkachuk not only failed to seize the moment, Jarome Iginla upstaged him.

While Tkachuk has risen above the smoldering ashes of this season, this was a missed moment that could prove costly. While Tkachuk has played superior hockey much of this season, many are wont to point to the lack of success that he has endured in postseason play, this game had postseason undertones. Tkachuk missed the chance to dwindle his doubters with a huge performance all the while adding confidence that he is a "big-game player."

In addition to Tkachuk, a few others that joined the underachievers' cast were Bryce Salvador and Murray Baron.

Can you imagine the physical price extracted if a team constantly, and flagrantly, "ran" Niklas Lidstrom, Rob Niedermayer, or even Mattias Ohlund?

Pronger was hit all night without so much as a return to sender. While some would say he could take care of himself, simple logic would insist teammates take action to keep him on the ice. There was a time Pronger was ridiculed for taking vengeance; there was a time that Pronger was branded as an undisciplined player that could be beaten mentally. Nowadays, Pronger displays the maturity so desired by the masses and in return... teammates prove nothing but spectators.

Where was Baron, where was Salvador? It's not always necessary to answer with fisticuffs, a few scrums, a few extra hits; a few statement checks would suffice. In a game of this significance, how could two of the team's toughest competitors perform like Lady Byng candidates?

In the end, however, the usual suspects prove to be guilty as charged... pathetic.

Was it coincidence, that as the Blues are having their asses handed to them at even-strength, in third period, Pavol Demitra is on the ice for three Calgary goals? Demitra shamefully lackadaisical performance defensively can clearly be derived from the stat sheet.

It is safe to say that if conjuring an All-Disappointment team for 2004, Demitra would not only be the center, he might very well be the captain.

I've noted repeatedly that the Blues were going to struggle with Demitra and Doug Weight as the top two centers because of their lack of defensive responsibility.

Since returning from injury, Demitra is a minus-seven in the seven games played.

Blues management bit the bullet and paid top dollar for Demitra this season only to be rewarded with a performance that, seriously, is an embarrassment to the jersey. He doesn't hustle, he rarely works, he won't hit, his defense is woeful and his body language on the ice all but screams I don't care. Fans should reward his play with a nightly chat at The Savvis once reserved for the likes of Will Plett and Al Secord.

Once again, I ask, why hasn't Demitra been held accountable by his teammates? Why hasn't Dallas Drake grabbed him in practice and beat some desire into him?

Demitra normally chokes at the end of the season, however this year, the reflux began shortly after Thanksgiving.

Weight has proven that the stats are more important than the standings. The lack of physical play, defensive play, and even-strength creativity is perplexing.

I was so wrong, oh so wrong, in my analysis of Weight. What I thought could prove to be the pulse of the team's beating heart is proving to be little more than a clog in the artery.

Did anybody even notice Weight on the ice last night?

Just wondering when Eric Boguniecki decided that he didn't have to work? Bogs proved last season not only capable of scoring but a willingness to work for position, a willingness that muck for the puck and hit when necessary to create opportunity. This season, he has shown little fight along the boards, in the corners, and is floating all too often.

Petr Cajanek, has been an albatross since experiencing his first NHL headache, he is a bane soon to be removed. In the near future, I'll share a story that amplifies why and how he transformed from a Selke Candidate into a non-factor.

It's unfortunate that once again, Lady Luck has again omitted St. Louis from her winter tour because what might've been has already departed.

Detroit desperately wanted Weight however the Blues won the sweepstakes. Some insiders wanted to pass on Demitra this season and search for a replacement however for the sake of continuity he was salvaged. Jamal Mayers could've been dealt earlier however based on potential and loyalty was given a chance to blossom.

BTW, did anybody else notice the handful of times that Mayers could've bought Iginla a meal at the Plexiglas diner only to offer a friendly bump as though they were strolling down the office hallway?

Mayers, at age 29, no longer a prospect, has proven a fraud, a selective-hitter that simply doesn't have the tenacity it takes to be a winner in his role at this level.

Did anybody notice Mayers just tapping Iginla as he was driving for the winning goal? Did anybody notice Demitra just floating up the ice behind the play? I wish I had a picture to display, it would visually tell the story of 2004. Mayers failing to be a physical finisher, and Demitra proving to be George Gervin on skates... basically the players not performing a given task nor going the extra mile when necessary

It's as though this team is remaking the film Groundhog Day and unfortunately, we're the supporting cast.

Actually, the use of the word team with this cast is misplaced. They don't perform collectively, they don't protect the back of teammates, and instead of feeding off the energy of Drake or Mellanby or Pronger, too, many choose to take the road traveled by fellow underachievers.

The competitive illness of a few proving problematic, as December became January has reached epidemic proportions, it's already killed a superb coach, and few seem interested in digesting the antibiotics.

Bob Plager said it best last night, "Where is the pride in the Blue Note."

Shame, it's just a shame that an organization long noted for guts and work-ethic will be stained by a cast that is on the verge of becoming one of most disappointing teams in team history.

The only thing that could worsen the situation is the status quo.

I hope management doesn't quit like the ownership did in the summer and as many of the players have this season.

It is mandatory that changes be made... and fast. Do something, anything, because by finishing this season without one more attempt to right the ship... you'll compete a trifecta of disdain that is a slap in the face across the board for those spending money to view this fiasco as well as those willing to spend emotion in support of this organization.

Ownership abandon the fans before the season, too many players are comfortable in cheating the fans on the ice... the last bastion of hope resides in the front office... do the right thing, partake in the shake or face the consequences of being baked.

It's a shame when a team quits, it's sad when an organization quits.

Simplify the objective, forget winning The Stanley Cup, and focus on making the playoffs... that's an objective at this point that begins in the front office.

There are a substantial number of fans, like moi, that still believe, that believes anything can happen once the tournament starts... if the front office allows the light of hope still flickering to flame out, shame on you too.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Does this mean he's admitting the Blues won't win the Cup in 2004?

Comment

The door the Blues were supposed to knock down in 2004 (according to Hadley) apparently is locked.
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Mar 3 2004, 10:56 AM
        The door the Blues were supposed to knock down in 2004 (according to Hadley) apparently is locked.
        Don't worry...he'll be predicting a Blues Stanley Cup celebration in 2005, even if there is no season.

Comment

I thought he was supposed to quit or something if the Wings won the cup in 02?

what a fat tool
          \'user\'user\'user
          Sponsor of Mee-Shay, Dante Culpepper & Marian Gaborik
          proud sponsor of ball-magnet

Comment

At what point in time did Keith Tkachuk become Shane Coryson?
            Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

I think Hadley and his use of "moi" is a bit "gai."

Sorry Kev, not baiting here.
              LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

Originally posted by hkyfan@Mar 3 2004, 12:59 PM
                At what point in time did Keith Tkachuk become Shane Coryson?
                When people started watching his game and not his scoresheets.
                Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

In the near future, I'll share a story that amplifies why and how he transformed from a Selke Candidate into a non-factor.
                  We'll be waiting for this mastery of prose you fat fuck.

Comment

Hadley, today:

I've noted repeatedly that the Blues were going to struggle with Demitra and Doug Weight as the top two centers because of their lack of defensive responsibility.

Hadley, Nov. 7, 2003:

Weight, however, coming off a spectacular playoff performance, is justifying my stance that is one of the best players in the game. Despite being hamstrung by wingers with average offensive skills... Weight is making plays... big plays.

Weight playing as well as any player on the team away from the puck and has heightened his defensive effort.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop@Mar 3 2004, 01:22 PM
                      Hadley, today:

Hadley, Nov. 7, 2003:

Weight, however, coming off a spectacular playoff performance, is justifying my stance that is one of the best players in the game. Despite being hamstrung by wingers with average offensive skills... Weight is making plays... big plays.

Weight playing as well as any player on the team away from the puck and has heightened his defensive effort.

Hadley's a fool.

If the Blues win a couple of games in a row he'll be singing their praises again.
                      Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Originally posted by backstop@Mar 3 2004, 01:22 PM
                        Hadley, today:

Hadley, Nov. 7, 2003:

Is somebody willing to make a list of instances like this where Tubbs just makes an ass out of himself and e-mail it to him? Has anybody tried to contact him before?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone+Mar 3 2004, 01:41 PM-->
                          QUOTE(Fishbone @ Mar 3 2004, 01:41 PM)

Do people actually 'pay' for this guys newsletter?
                          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB@Mar 3 2004, 01:46 PM
                            Do people actually 'pay' for this guys newsletter?
                            no. It's a virus. People can't pay enough to get rid of it.

Let's start a campaign to get Hadley off of KTRS and FOX.

We need to compile a list of advertisers and a form letter to read when we all call.
                            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Working...
                            X