networking help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• networking help

ok..two PC's......one running 2K which is hardwired into my router, XP shares the internet connection via wireless. I want them to talk......at some point, i'd like to move all my 2K files and settings over to my xp comp so i can reinstall the OS on the other one.

help?
    Are you on the list?

Are they in the same workgroup?
    If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Is it XP Home? If so, don't bother.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Mar 3 2004, 12:28 PM
        Is it XP Home? If so, don't bother.
        they are in the same workgroup

and yes it's XP home
        Are you on the list?

Comment

Make sure both are on the same IP subnet...........

Create/join a workgroup on one.........Then join that workgroup from the other............

Make sure the directories you want to copy to/from are shared.........Make sure that both PC's have file/printer sharing enabled (Not sure this is necessary with 2K or XP)
          AKA reddevil
          AKA davel a devil

[COLOR=red'][/COLOR]

Comment

Both Win2K and XP have a default share on the c drive, so usually if you have rights, you can map to the other. The path usually looks something like this –

\\computername\C$

On one of the machines go to Start - Run and drop in that info to see what if finds….
            If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

and yes it's XP home
              Upgrade to Pro......... B)

I've never seen Home so I don't know if you even have the capability of joining a workgroup...........You can try browsing the ip addy of the 2K machine
              AKA reddevil
              AKA davel a devil

[COLOR=red'][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson@Mar 3 2004, 12:33 PM
                Both Win2K and XP have a default share on the c drive, so usually if you have rights, you can map to the other. The path usually looks something like this –

\\computername\C$

On one of the machines go to Start - Run and drop in that info to see what if finds….
                If this doesn't work try

\\ip appress of target pc\C$
                AKA reddevil
                AKA davel a devil

[COLOR=red'][/COLOR]

Comment

Just install NETBEUI.

Comment

Originally posted by davel+Mar 3 2004, 12:40 PM-->
                    QUOTE(davel @ Mar 3 2004, 12:40 PM)

Originally posted by pgrote@Mar 3 2004, 12:41 PM
                    Just install NETBEUI.
                    what the hell is that?
                    Are you on the list?

Comment

Try setting up a shareed folder on the XP machine. Make sure to add the 2K username as a user of that shared folder.

The go through My network neighborhood and navigate to the folder.
                      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE+Mar 3 2004, 12:43 PM-->
                        QUOTE(SLUBLUE @ Mar 3 2004, 12:43 PM)

Don't bother with NETBEUI.

Just make sure you have folders shared over the network

And for the love of god, don't share the root C: on a wireless network.

Comment

Originally posted by davel@Mar 3 2004, 12:55 PM
                          grote......Is it still an option.........??
                          Yes.

It's on the XP Home CD under VALUE something something. You need to copy the files to your harddrive per the README file.

Home sucks for networking. Sometimes that is the easiest thing.

Comment

Working...
                          X