AOL IM Contains Spyware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOL IM Contains Spyware

The latest versions are the ones with it.

two things....

first, how do I downgrade aol?

secondly, what exactly is spyware, and what do "the people" use it for?
    Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

John Ashcroft gets his wish..
      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Is this a surprise?

Anything AOL has always been spyware.

Friends don't let friends use AOL.
        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
        MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
        The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

well, now I know what that wild tangent crap is on my computer.

jerks.

I guess I will uninstall that tonight. I have yahoo too, so I will just use that from now on.

when I went to compusa yesterday to get something, at the checkout counter the guy tried to sign me up for aol, saying that I would save money on my purchase. I told him no quickly and so that he would get the idea that I hate that company. I also passed on the service guarantee thingy for the car adapter.

I really hate computer places now.
          Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl@Mar 3 2004, 11:51 AM
            well, now I know what that wild tangent crap is on my computer.

jerks.

I guess I will uninstall that tonight. I have yahoo too, so I will just use that from now on.

when I went to compusa yesterday to get something, at the checkout counter the guy tried to sign me up for aol, saying that I would save money on my purchase. I told him no quickly and so that he would get the idea that I hate that company. I also passed on the service guarantee thingy for the car adapter.

I really hate computer places now.
            Which one did you goto?

I used to work @ the one on Manchester in BAllwin.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Mar 3 2004, 11:51 AM
              Anything AOL has always been spyware.
              No, it hasn't.

The AOL IM prior to this didn't include the Wild Tangent spyware unless you invoked the games option.

Now it is installed by default.

The bad thing is that if you uninstall it, it reinstalls it when AOL IM is reloaded.

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl@Mar 3 2004, 11:51 AM
                You can use the free version of Trillian to communicate using AOL IM without spyware.

CompUSA is working a turnaround, but they still have a long way to go. One of the issues is they can't decide the type of people to hire.

Hire knowledgable staff interested in customers and your costs go up.

Comment

Use This

I log every single one of my IM conversations -- I do my own spyware, thanks.

(01:08:55) Britt82: um yes
                  (01:09:27) Britt82: we had a few too many margs
                  (01:09:48) Britt82: 5 of my high school girlfriends and i ended up in the hot tub naked
                  (01:09:53) Britt82: i dont know how we got to that point
                  The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Another great idea, Reb.

Comment

Which one did you goto?

I used to work @ the one on Manchester in BAllwin.
                      I went to the one on Lindbergh at Watson.

What is so stupid is that when I got my laptop a few years ago at best buy, I made the stupid idiot decision to get the idiot service plan and so I wasted that money. I USED TO HANDLE getting rma numbers for a company and if anything goes wrong with anything I buy, I know how to deal with it MYSELF. But oh well, decision made and I paid for it. I even remember the guy telling me stuff that would go wrong that at the time, I knew wasn't true, but I doubted myself and so got that idiot stupid plan.

Even if something goes wrong with the car adapter, I wouldn't bother going back to compusa with it. I would call the company direct.

Comment

Spybot may be able to immunize it............

It's worth a shot
                        AKA reddevil
                        AKA davel a devil

[COLOR=red'][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by davel@Mar 3 2004, 12:22 PM
                          Spybot may be able to immunize it............

It's worth a shot
                          Nope. It reinstalls each time you start AIM.

Comment

I have spybot and it finds wildtangent every time I scan for spies.

Comment

I use ad-aware-6.0 and it doesnt find anything.

Is spybot free?
                              Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Working...
                              X