This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NLCS GDT GAME 6 10/19/05 Cardinals vs Astros

The Redbirds come home to roost where they should be, in a MLB ballpark, not a Little League field. We can close out Busch II the way we should, with a World Series title. Minute Maid can host the Little League World Series, we'll take the big one. But first we have to get by Roy Oswalt and the Houston ASStro's. We need to stay POSITIVE in this one just as the noted faithful did last night when all appeared lost. Schwa, Elvis, Glovey, RBB, Cavalier79, Payforfun and inDFW were the obvious ones and I know there were many many more but they went on record after the Berkman homerun and before that sweet 9th inning.

I've never wanted a GDT more than I do this one. I've been preaching for my guy all year and now we get to see how well he does under pressure. Justwundrin needs to get in here and stay POSITIVE, no need for a kick to the nutsack tonight. This is where Walt and TLR are going to shine. It's time to bring home a winnar boys (and girls, GibbyGirl [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img] She knows what I'm talking about) and no better time than now to start the CELEBRATION.

LET'S GO REDBIRDS!!!!!!!!1111111

Yesterday, 10:19 PM Post #1285

Group: Silver
    Member No.: 112

QUOTE(Cavalier79 @ Oct 17 2005, 10:18 PM)

QUOTE(Schwahalala @ Oct 17 2005, 10:16 PM)

QUOTE(Schwahalala @ Oct 17 2005, 10:15 PM)
    QUOTE(ElviswasaBluesFan @ Oct 17 2005, 10:14 PM)
    QUOTE(GloveSaveandaBeauty @ Oct 17 2005, 10:13 PM)

QUOTE(Schwahalala @ Oct 17 2005, 10:12 PM)

So who has lost faith?

Looks like everyone but me, ohio, Fishbone and RBB.

hello

Well five's enough - that will get us the win tonight.

Quick someone second a name for us -

The five with faith.

Make it six.

Glad to have ya aboard.[/b][/quote]

Game Info: 7:05 pm CDT Wed Oct 19, 2005
    TV: FOX

Starting Pitchers

Regular Season Stats

R. Oswalt Hou vs. M. Mulder StL

20-12 Record 16-8
    2.94 ERA 3.64
    184 K 111
    48 BB 70
    18 HR 19

SERIES: NL Championship Series; Astros lead 3-2.
    The Houston Astros were one out away from ending more than 40 years of frustration. Now they'll have to close the St. Louis Cardinals' 40-year-old ballpark to do it.

The Cardinals hope Albert Pujols' stunning homer off Brad Lidge, which prevented the Astros from wrapping up a spot in the World Series, is the spark to an incredible comeback as the NL championship series returns to Busch Stadium for Game 6.

``They're going to be ready in St. Louis,'' Pujols said. ``We just need to win two before we lose one.''

Just like last year's NLCS, the Astros are going back to St. Louis with a 3-2 series lead. How the teams feel heading there this time, however, is significantly different.

It seemed the 40th and final season at Busch Stadium had seen its last game, considering how this series stood late Monday night at Minute Maid Park. St. Louis, which had lost Games 3 and 4 at Houston to fall into a 3-1 series deficit, trailed 4-2 in Game 5 with the bases empty and two outs in the ninth inning against Lidge -- one of baseball's most dominant closers.

David Eckstein, though, kept the Cardinals' faint hopes alive by bouncing a single through the left side of the infield, and Lidge walked Jim Edmonds to bring Pujols to the plate as the potential go-ahead run.

``It's terrible. You're high as a kite one minute,'' Houston manager Phil Garner said. ``We were feeling pretty good, but you have to play every out.''

On Lidge's 0-1 pitch, Pujols hit a towering shot over the left-field wall to give the Cardinals the lead, and silence a Houston crowd which was so close to seeing its team reach the World Series for the first time in its 44-year existence.

Jason Isringhausen closed out the Astros in the bottom of the ninth as St. Louis won 5-4 to force a Game 6 and send this series back to Busch Stadium. Houston, which had been 84-1 this year when leading after eight innings, fell to 0-5 with a chance to clinch the NLCS.

``It was devastating. We thought we were going to the World Series. We were there,'' Lance Berkman said. ``Obviously, it was a high to a low, and it wasn't much fun.''

The Astros continue to make things difficult on themselves. This is the same team that started the season 15-30, and couldn't clinch the NL wild-card berth until the final day of the regular season.

``Unfortunately I can't be shocked by it,'' Astros third baseman Morgan Ensberg said. ``This is exactly the way we've played this year. We don't ever do it the easy way. This is always the way it happens to us.''

In last year's NLCS, the teams also went back to St. Louis with Houston leading 3-2. However, the Astros obviously were not coming off such a devastating blow, having won all three games at Minute Maid Park. St. Louis went on to win both games at home to advance to the World Series.

A big difference this year for the Astros, though, is they have 20-game winner Roy Oswalt going in Game 6. He only pitched in Game 4 of last year's NLCS because he had made two starts in the NLDS against Atlanta.

What is similar to last year is that if this series goes the distance, Roger Clemens will start Game 7. He lost to Jeff Suppan in that deciding game. This year, Clemens would be opposed by Matt Morris.

``It gives us the edge to go back to St. Louis, but you still have to win two games,'' Pujols said. ``You're going to have to face two of the best guys in the game, Oswalt and Clemens. We were in this situation before last year coming to our place, so hopefully we can do that again.''

Pujols was the only Cardinal to do damage in Game 2 against Oswalt, hitting a sixth-inning homer in St. Louis' 4-1 loss. Oswalt gave up five hits and three walks while striking out six in seven innings.

Oswalt is 3-0 in six career postseason outings. Though St. Louis beat the right-hander twice this season, including once in July when they defeated Andy Pettitte, him and Clemens in order, Oswalt has beaten the Cardinals with strong seven-inning efforts the last two times he's faced them -- both at Busch Stadium.

Oswalt again will be opposed by Mark Mulder, who also pitched seven solid innings in Game 2 but took the loss. The left-hander allowed two runs -- one earned -- and eight hits with two walks and six strikeouts.

Mulder has only a 3-3 playoff record despite an impressive 1.91 ERA in six starts, having walked eight and struck out 27 in 37 2-3 innings.

``They have got Roy, we've got Mark, a classic matchup,'' Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said. ``It feels different from last year, because everything is different, but the matchups are real exciting, Game 6. So it should be a very special night.''

HOW THEY GOT HERE: Astros - NL wild-card winners; beat Atlanta Braves 3-1, NL division series. Cardinals - NL Central champions; beat San Diego Padres 3-0, NL division series.

PROJECTED LINEUPS: Astros - 2B Craig Biggio (.264, 26 HRs, 69 RBIs, 17 HBP), CF Willy Taveras (.291, 3, 29, 71 infield hits, 34 SBs), 1B Berkman (.293, 24, 82, 91 walks), 3B Ensberg (.283, 36, 101), RF Jason Lane (.267, 26, 78), LF Chris Burke (.248, 5, 26), SS Adam Everett (.248, 11, 54); C Brad Ausmus (.258, 3, 47). Cardinals - SS Eckstein (.294, 8, 61, 11 SBs), CF Edmonds (.263, 29, 89), 1B Pujols (.330, 41, 117, 16 SBs), LF Reggie Sanders (.271, 21, 54 in 93 games), RF Larry Walker (.289, 15, 52 in 100 games), 2B Mark Grudzielanek (.294, 8, 59), C Yadier Molina (.252, 8, 49), 3B Hector Luna (.285, 1, 18).

ASTROS PROBABLE STARTING PITCHER: Oswalt (2-0, 2.51 ERA). The right-hander has won his last five starts, walking seven and striking out 32.

CARDINALS PROBABLE STARTING PITCHER: Mulder (1-1, 1.32 ERA). With his performance in Game 2, Mulder put to rest any concern the bruise on his biceps -- suffered on a line-drive comebacker in the NLDS -- was still bothering him. He's given up three runs in 25 innings at home against the Astros this season.

REGULAR SEASON SERIES: Cardinals, 11-5.

STREAKS AND NOTES: Astros - RHP Lidge, who saved Games 2, 3 and 4, had pitched 29 1-3 consecutive scoreless innings against St. Louis before giving up four runs in this series. ... Ensberg was sixth in the NL this season with 36 homers, but has none in his past 20 games, including nine playoff contests. ... Biggio entered this series hitless in 14 career at-bats against Mulder, but singled twice off him in Game 2. Cardinals - Edmonds was second on the team with 89 RBIs during the regular season, but has yet to drive in a run in the NLCS. ... Walker hit .293 in the 2004 playoffs, but is 2-for-24 (.083) in this postseason. ... Grudzielanek was batting .143 in the playoffs before going 2-for-4 with a two-run single Monday.

POSTSEASON ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Astros - 2-2 on the road. Cardinals - 3-1 at home.
    RIP Stan the Man
    The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
    I miss TLR!

Originally posted by Tazlaz@ Oct 18 2005, 03:45 PM
    July 15, 2005
    Houston Astros (Andy Pettitte) 3
    St. Louis Cardinals 4

July 16, 2005
    Houston Astros (Roy Oswalt) 2
    St. Louis Cardinals 4

July 17, 2005
    Houston Astros (Roger Clemens) 0
    St. Louis Cardinals 3
    Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
    Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
    There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
    "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
    "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Originally posted by Tazlaz@ Oct 16 2005, 11:36 PM
      Game 5
      October 13, 1985 at Royals Stadium (Kansas City Royals)
      Toronto Blue Jays 0
      Kansas City Royals 2

Game 6
      October 15, 1985 at Exhibition Stadium (Toronto Blue Jays)
      Kansas City Royals 5
      Toronto Blue Jays 3

Game 7
      October 16, 1985 at Exhibition Stadium (Toronto Blue Jays)
      Kansas City Royals 6
      Toronto Blue Jays 2

----------
      Game 5
      October 24, 1985 at Busch Stadium II (St. Louis Cardinals)
      Kansas City Royals 6
      St. Louis Cardinals 1

Game 6
      October 26, 1985 at Royals Stadium (Kansas City Royals)
      St. Louis Cardinals 1
      Kansas City Royals 2

Game 7
      October 27, 1985 at Royals Stadium (Kansas City Royals)
      St. Louis Cardinals 0
      Kansas City Royals 11

---------
      Game 5
      October 12, 1986 at Anaheim Stadium (California Angels)
      Boston Red Sox 7
      California Angels 6

Game 6
      October 14, 1986 at Fenway Park (Boston Red Sox)
      California Angels 4
      Boston Red Sox 10

Game 7
      October 15, 1986 at Fenway Park (Boston Red Sox)
      California Angels 1
      Boston Red Sox 8

--------------
      Game 5
      October 14, 1996 at Busch Stadium II (St. Louis Cardinals)
      Atlanta Braves 14
      St. Louis Cardinals 0

Game 6
      October 16, 1996 at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta Braves)
      St. Louis Cardinals 1
      Atlanta Braves 3

Game 7
      October 17, 1996 at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta Braves)
      St. Louis Cardinals 0
      Atlanta Braves 15

-------------------
      Game 5
      October 12, 2003 at Pro Player Stadium (Florida Marlins)
      Chicago Cubs 0
      Florida Marlins 4

Game 6
      October 14, 2003 at Wrigley Field (Chicago Cubs)
      Florida Marlins 8
      Chicago Cubs 3

Game 7
      October 15, 2003 at Wrigley Field (Chicago Cubs)
      Florida Marlins 9
      Chicago Cubs 6

----------------
      It's been done to us. It's about damn time we do it to someone.
      Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
      Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
      There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
      "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
      "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

we let the only guy left in the motherfucking faction start the game 6 GDT, brilliant.
        You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

QUOTE(Nasty Nate @ Oct 18 2005, 08:12 PM) Quoted post

we let the only guy left in the motherfucking faction start the game 6 GDT, brilliant.
          [/b][/quote]

That's the way to stay POSITIVE. Come on, get on board the Cardinal train. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img]
          RIP Stan the Man
          I miss TLR!

Comment

[/b][/quote]

No one takes Heugy's one man faction seriously.
            RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
            You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

QUOTE(JWB @ Oct 18 2005, 08:14 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
              RIP Stan the Man
              I miss TLR!

Comment

[/b][/quote]
                it is Huge, no foul commited
                Sponsor of:
                Brian Elliott
                Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Bring it home, hueg.

Comment

Sponsor of:
                    Brian Elliott
                    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

QUOTE(GloveSaveandaBeauty @ Oct 18 2005, 08:16 PM) Quoted post

Bring it home, hueg.
                      [/b][/quote]

Thanks for your support. You were the only one I was worried about but after last night you proved your mettle. I was proud of you. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
                      RIP Stan the Man
                      I miss TLR!

Comment

QUOTE(jhuegy @ Oct 18 2005, 08:15 PM) Quoted post

QUOTE(JWB @ Oct 18 2005, 08:14 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
                        [/b][/quote]

But I do have faith in you and Mulder tomorrow [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
                        RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                        You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Do it for Gussie...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

A certain Santana song is appropriate.

"Deeper, Dig Deeper" from the album Freedom (and a killer instrumental version on Blues for Salvador)

Deeper, Deeper, dig, dig, Deeper, Deeper

Get a little closer
                            You don’t have to be afraid
                            You have to trust your inner pilot
                            Don’t let it drift away

Dig a little deeper
                            You gotta get it in your soul
                            Reach out with your spirit
                            And let your feelings show

Deeper, Deeper, dig, dig, Deeper, Deeper

You can’t deny the feeling
                            That touches you inside
                            When you’re tired and lonely
                            You don’t have to lose your pride.

Take the time to listen
                            Stay a little while
                            Got a song to sing for you
                            Let the music get you higher, higher.
                            LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

Let's do it, boys!
                              When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Working...
                              X