Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GDT: Cardinals vs Astros (Game 5, Monday)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: Cardinals vs Astros (Game 5, Monday)

It takes a team.

A combination of diverse talents united for the common good.

A team.

No one person is solely responsible for winning a game, let alone a title. No, it takes a collective effort of sweat, hope, and determination that culminates in one moment of unbridled joy. Ecstasy unrestrained. A picture perfect snapshot of a moment in time to last a lifetime.

Teamwork has undeniably been both the foundation and fabric of this entire season. When someone failed or was befallen by injury, another was there to help pick him up and dust him off to continue the battle. Win or lose, the battle on the diamond was determined by individual parts culled together to create something wholly magnificent. And for their efforts 100 wins stood at the threshold waiting patiently to deservedly greet this team.

The leaders who work most effectively, it seems to me, never say “I.” Not that they’ve trained themselves not to say “I,” they don’t think “I.” They think “we,” they think “team.” They understand their job to be to make the team function. They accept responsibility and don’t sidestep it. But “we” gets the credit. This is what creates trust and enables the team to get the task done.” – Peter Drucker

So, as he has for the past 10 seasons, Tony again set out last spring to lead them. Unheralded, brushed aside or unjustly labeled by those that determine such things, our Cardinals assembled and set one goal: To win. To prove “them” wrong. More important, to prove to themselves that not only did they belong, but that they had no intention on being followers, but leaders. Leaders led by a man with a vision, determination, and desire rivaled only by those he had chosen to lead.

We don’t accomplish anything in this world alone. Whatever happens is the result of the whole tapestry of one’s life and all the weavings of individual threads from one to another that creates something special.” – Sandra Day O’Connor

And so it comes to this.

Battered, but not beaten.

Down, but not out.

Unjustly labeled by those who spew words of disbelief in hopes of swaying the belief in others.

And here, now, in what many believe is the end, it’s the part each person plays, their link in the chain, that defines just how strong the bond ultimately will be.

So, regardless of the outcome, rest assured that if one of our beloved again fails to come through, another will be there to pick him up, dust him off, and inspire him to hold his head high because his failure is everyone’s failure…as is his success. And it is that success, too often married with episodes of painful failure, that determine the heart and soul and desire of a team.

My team. Your team. Our team.

This team.

Because noone ever does it alone.

Go, Cards!
    "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

QUOTE(Stan_Papi @ Oct 16 2005, 10:08 PM) Quoted post

Well, the way I see it, Houston has played about as well as they possibly can - pitching, defense, flipping fly balls into the left field porch, etc. I don't think they can play much better than they have for the last three games. And the Cards haven't exactly been world-beaters the last few days either. While we haven't looked clueless out there, we haven't been particularly sharp either. And while they've been at their best, and we've been off our game, they've beat us by a whopping two, one and one runs in those three games.

Maybe they'll do it again tomorrow. If they do, I'll tip my caps. The Astros are a good bunch of guys, and if not the Cardinals, they're probably the #2 team I'd like to see win.

I know they've got Pettitte, Oswalt and Clemens and that it's probably a mere formality for them to beat us and advance to the World Series, but what the hell? Let's go ahead and play the game just to see what happens.

We can bitch about the umpiring today (and there's NO doubt it was horseshit today), but the White Sox responded to getting fucked even worse than we did in Game Two of the ALCS by turning around and taking at least two (and possibly three) games in the enemy ballpark. We need to do the same thing - TLR teams thrive on the "us against the world" mentality, and it's time to stop getting pissed and start getting even.

This team might get beat, but it's not going to quit. If we were going to quit, we'd wouldn't have been battling against Lidge like we did in the 9th inning yesterday and today. We wouldn't have Walker going to third while nobody was looking. This team might be failing to execute right now, but one thing I haven't seen is "quit".

Anyone who wants to play it safe and hop off the bandwagon before it crashes - that's fine. But I'm buckling up and staying on board. No doubt, the fucking thing is heading straight for a cliff right now, and you all can tell me what a dumb sonofabitch I am for not bailing before we crashed, but this Cardinals' team has been a monster from a horror movie all year long. Every time you think they're dead, they get back up off the ground and take another victim. The Astros might get us, but if they do, they better bring a fucking silver bullet, and a wooden stake and finish the job tomorrow. Because if they don't, we're coming back to our place. And I think we all remember how it turned out last year when we came back to Busch down 3 games to two. And if they don't do it tomorrow, those Astro sphincters might just start to pucker a bit when we get that snowball rolling the other direction...[/b][/quote]

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

We will win this game.

Carp will be the yeoman that we need him to be.

Series 2-3 with Cards coming back to St. Louis. Their relief corps has been used much more than ours..and Lidge is human.

We can still take the series..but, we need to re-find our hitting and need to play error-free ball.

Should be fun...

Comment

After today's loss, it really feels like we have lost the series.

However, if we win tomorrow with our Ace pitcher, we ARE going back to Busch the same way it was last year.

This isn't over. I'll be watching tomorrow.
        In Construction

(the move messed it up)

Comment

I'll be unable to watch this game (work [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img] )

So we'll probably win [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]
          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

QUOTE(Blues Fan in SF @ Oct 16 2005, 10:33 PM) Quoted post

I'll be unable to watch this game (work [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mad.gif[/img] )

[/b][/quote]
            Damn straight [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

QUOTE(*007* @ Oct 16 2005, 09:34 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]
              Damn straight [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img] [/b][/quote]

who in the hell decided to give BF the start? Jeebus..that was a train wreck waiting to happen. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I found myself strangely detached during Sunday's game. Like I was watching myself watch the game. I hope to view Monday's game the same way (I've had my heart broken enough in real life to cry over a baseball game), but I know that won't happen.

I'll be here, watching, hoping, praying.
                The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Co-Sponsor of Yadi Molina, possessor of the best waxed eyebrows in the league.

Sponsor of steveInebriated and fetcher of cold beer.

Comment

[/b][/quote]

{cough}

does that mean you watched it today?

(w/out reading the rest of the thread I ask that question) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
                  Feb. 08, 2005
                  Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
                  Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
                  Originally posted by Airshark
                  NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

Unfortunately, I'll be @ softball tomorrow nite and will not be able to see much of this game, but as I've stated earlier: I talked to Clemens' mom (not Fishbone's) and she had a vision of a 7-3 game in the Cardinals' favor....

Comment

QUOTE(gibsongirl @ Oct 16 2005, 09:37 PM) Quoted post
                      I found myself strangely detached during Sunday's game. Like I was watching myself watch the game. I hope to view Monday's game the same way (I've had my heart broken enough in real life to cry over a baseball game), but I know that won't happen.

I'll be here, watching, hoping, praying. [/b][/quote]

Yep..I had the same "Albert Camus" moment myself. Complete detachment from this series in Game 3 and 4. I decided I wont get pissed off this season, but our efforts have been poor.

So..I'm back in the game for 5-7...we can still win this baby.

Comment

QUOTE(Nsane2Bme @ Oct 16 2005, 08:37 PM) Quoted post

[/b][/quote]

{cough}

does that mean you watched it today?

(w/out reading the rest of the thread I ask that question) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
                        [/b][/quote]

Nope - I was on the boat most of the time - and then we drove all over Alameda looking for a bar with the game on - couldn't find one, so we had to go to Jack London Sq. and by that point I was about to pass out from hunger, so we just went into a restaurant and ate...

I didn't see any of it [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

what'd i miss?
                          life begins in march, ends in october, and the resurrection occurs in a hot stove

\"IPB
                          \"IPB

Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                          Morgan Ensberg & Lance Berkman
                          Dr. Pepper
                          all things Calvin & Hobbes

Comment

If we're going to lose, I prefer we lose tomorrow.

I don't want to see the Astros clinch in St. Louis.

Comment

QUOTE(nschneid @ Oct 16 2005, 10:45 PM) Quoted post

what'd i miss?
                              [/b][/quote]
                              Shitty calls, lack of hitting with RISP, and a few existential crises.
                              The noise was good, but I thought they phoned in a lot of the funk.

Co-Sponsor of Yadi Molina, possessor of the best waxed eyebrows in the league.

Sponsor of steveInebriated and fetcher of cold beer.

Comment

Working...
                              X