X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WATER FOUND ON MARS?

Could be big

NASA will hold a press conference Tuesday to announce "significant findings" about water on Mars based on evidence from its Opportunity Mars rover.

"It's going to be the most significant science results that we've had from the rovers, and it's bearing on their primary mission," NASA spokesperson Don Savage told SPACE.com . That mission is to find signs of water that might support life.

Will the announcement change how we think about Mars?

"Anything of a significant nature has that possibility," Savage said. "Sure."

If there is liquid water presently at the surface of Mars, as several lines of rover evidence have hinted, then most scientists agree there is the possibility that life could exist. Water does not mean life, but it is the key ingredient that makes life possible

Man the escape pods.
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

I'd keep my eye out for Sand People -- they're kind of nasty, and unkempt.

I think the rover is actually tooling around the Mojave. The climate's are roughly the same.
      His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
      Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

That doesn't surprise me.
        When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

This is a carefully crafted plan by the Bush Administration to get the Mars space missi.....

Oops, wrong thread.....

That's great.....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Kerry will issue a statement tonight saying that Hallibuton and Dick Chaney have claimed the rights.

Stryker

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Stryker@Mar 1 2004, 06:27 PM
              Kerry will issue a statement tonight saying that Hallibuton and Dick Chaney have claimed the rights.

Stryker
              And there will be people who defend it.

Comment

I saw Dick Chaney walking with a queen.

Doing the werewolves of London.

Comment

bomb it.
                  Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Has anyone seen whether there has been serious consideration of life, sentient life, existing and then dying off say 2 million years ago on Mars when (if) it was livable before it sprang up on earth?

I'm not talking about microbes.
                    Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

I've always believed that if we dug deep enough, we'd find some very interesting things under the surface.

In freshman year of college, I took an astronomy class, and Professor Peterson taught us that what we see here on earth today is what mars was like many millions of years ago. He insisted that one day earth as we know it would exist on venus and earth would be like mars as we know it today. I think he was stretching to extremes to make his case. I do believe, however, that it is highly possible if we were to dig on Mars, and I don't mean scratch the surface, I mean really really dig, we'd uncover all the answers we've been pining for all these years.
                      First Fan of the Halifax IceBreakers!

Comment

Kah & Trig might agree and maybe will agree to be interviewed on NPR at 19:00 HRS CST or 01:00 GMT (zulu) - Both will then argue that 'zulu' is a politically incorrect statement and should be taken up as an UN resolution denouncing the term zulu as racist. The votees' of course will be able to tap dance.

They'll then blame Bush , consult Kerry, Kerry will blame Bush, drink a Busch (light)
                        and all agree that it was the Bush's fault - meanwhile - it's still 01:00 Zulu and I still havn't heard a concrete plan from the botox bufoon.

BTW - It's 18:51 in STL....CDT

Stryker

Comment

Given its proximity to the sun, I'm not sure Mars could ever support the same diversity of life or have a comparable atmosphere with earth.

But I'm not a scientist.

Comment

Peterson bored the living shit out of me, but he made some valid points. I just don't recall most of them.

As for life... they say all life must be either carbon or silicon based. I wonder if that necessarily holds true? I always wondered why it couldn't be possible that some other life base could have adapted to exist elsewhere?

The best bet for extraterrestrial life still exists on the moons of Jupiter, I think. Europa, in particular. It would take one hell of an expensive mission to go and drill through all that ice though.
                            First Fan of the Halifax IceBreakers!

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky@Mar 1 2004, 06:22 PM
                              I'd keep my eye out for Sand People -- they're kind of nasty, and unkempt.

I think the rover is actually tooling around the Mojave. The climate's are roughly the same.
                              Moe,

I believe "sand people" is considered a spacial epithet.

Let's be a little more PC here and use the correct term: Tusken Raider.

" Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Working...
                              X