X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior sidelined by achilles injury

Cubs to rest pitcher to ensure 'he's 100 percent'

MESA, Ariz. -- Cubs pitcher Mark Prior will miss five-to-10 days of spring training because of an inflamed right Achilles' tendon.

Prior, an 18-game winner last season, was injured during drills last week. An MRI revealed no tear, general manager Jim Hendry said Monday.

"We're just going to make sure he's 100 percent," Hendry said. "He was in great shape when he got here. He's been working out. He's a big strong guy with huge legs."

Prior is 24-12 in his first 49 major league starts. He went 18-6 a year ago -- his first full season in the majors -- and had a 2.43 ERA with 245 strikeouts, second in the NL to teammate Kerry Wood.

An All-Star last season, Prior went on the disabled list after a basepath collision with Atlanta's Marcus Giles. After returning in early August, he went 10-1 as Chicago surged to the playoffs.

In the postseason, Prior was 2-1 with a 2.31 ERA in three starts. He was the loser in pivotal Game 6 of the National League championship series when Florida scored eight runs in the eighth inning and went on to win that game and the series.

Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

An injury to that Cubs staff is inevitable.

As are injuries to the Astros and Cards starters.

The NL Central will go to the team with the best trainer.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

HOORAY!
      Are you on the list?

Comment

I'm interested to see what happens with those three pitchers this year because Dusty REALLY worked them last year. Wood's delivery is such that it looks like his arm is just going to fly out of the socket and into the dugout on the next pitch, and neither Prior nor Zambrano had ever worked so much in their lives.

To me, that's the biggest question about the Cubs this year, along with how they manage to blow it this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar@Mar 1 2004, 01:11 PM
          I'm interested to see what happens with those three pitchers this year because Dusty REALLY worked them last year. Wood's delivery is such that it looks like his arm is just going to fly out of the socket and into the dugout on the next pitch, and neither Prior nor Zambrano had ever worked so much in their lives.

To me, that's the biggest question about the Cubs this year, along with how they manage to blow it this time around.
          This injury is interesting because this is one of the few things that could keep Prior out for a while.

He's so technically sound that he'll likely never have shoulder/elbow problems without a collision.

But he also relys so much on his legs for power that an ankle or knee injury would cripple him.

I think that if he can keep his legs healthy, he can pitch 250 innings without wearing himself out.
          MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Oh, and to note about the Cubs: They haven't had back-to-back winning seasons since 1971-1972.

Comment

Prior injured? Let's hope it's nothing minor.
              I'm always right.

Comment

I don't know if I agree with you about flawless mechanics preventing arm injuries. I think Matt Morris has always had pretty flawless mechanics (other than that stretch last summer) and he still had to have Tommy John surgery in 1999.

I agree with your point about his legs though.

A Cubs losing season in 2004 would be the most hilarious one yet.

Comment

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                  Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                  -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Zambrano will break down this year. Mark my words.

Comment

My money is on Zambrano breaking down this year. he is relatively efficient with his pitches, but it's inevitable that one of their three young guns has an arm injury.

Comment

See what happens when you don't get rid of a curse correctly.

Comment

So much for blowing up that ball.
                          Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Okay.

Who is going to print that pic of Prior out and make it into a poster to take to Wrigley?

Even here when we play them?

This MUST happen.
                            Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl@Mar 1 2004, 01:27 PM
                              Okay.

Who is going to print that pic of Prior out and make it into a poster to take to Wrigley?

Even here when we play them?

This MUST happen.
                              Hey, 007, where did you find that pic of Prior? CG has an absolutely BRILLIANT idea here everyone.
                              *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Working...
                              X