Fantasy Baseball Keeper League help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy Baseball Keeper League help

before i post my team, here's the rules my league set up regarding keeping players
    4. For the first season, we will do a live yahoo draft. After the players are set, i'll set up the email list, and we will work out a time to draft, but it will be as close to opening day as possible. In the second and third year, we will conduct the draft offline, to ensure that the keeper aspect of the league works.

5. In terms of the keeper rules, its simple. At the end of the season, you have the option to keep four players from your roster. If you choose to keep a player, you lose the round of the draft where he was drafted the previous season. So, if you drafted Albert Pujols in the first round, and you want to keep him, you forfeit your first round pick in year 2. If you draft Juan Pierre in round 8, and you want to keep him, he costs you your 8th pick in the year 2 draft. If you keep a player who went undrafted, you lose your 12th pick (the midway point), and any player aquired in a trade, you lose your pick that matches with where he was picked the year before.

6. During the offline draft for year two, we will arrange for some sort of communication, whether it be IM or phone conference, and we will conduct the draft offline. This allows Nick and I to manually input the rosters and put the keeper players on their proper team. It will be more work for us, but its fine, its a year down the road.[/b][/quote]

and here's the team i ended the season with (first place btw [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif[/img] ):

HITTERS
    Martinez, V (CLE - C) -- Rd. 3
    Lee, D (CHC - 1B) -- Rd. 5
    Ellis, M (OAK - 2B/SS) -- FA
    Tejada, M (BAL- SS) -- Rd. 1
    Ensberg, M (HOU - 3B) -- FA
    Giles, B (SD - OF) -- Rd. 8
    Francoer, J (ATL - OF) -- FA
    Monroe, C (DET - OF) -- Rd. 23
    Sanchez F (PIT - 2B/SS/3B) -- FA
    Anderson, G (LAA - OF) -- Rd. 13
    Johnson D (OAK - 1B) -- FA
    Blake, C (Cle - OF/3B) -- Rd. 16
    Eldred, B (PIT - 1B) -- FA

PITCHERS
    McCarthy, B (CWS - SP) -- FA
    Weaver, J (LAD - SP)-- Rd. 14
    Duke, Z (Pit - SP) -- FA
    Wakefield, T (Bos - SP) -- FA
    Lidge, B (Hou - RP) -- Rd. 4
    Street, H (Oak - RP) -- FA
    Jenks, B (CWS - RP) -- FA
    Bush, D (Tor - SP) -- FA
    Pettitte, A (Hou - SP) -- Rd. 17
    Haren, D (Oak - SP/RP) -- Rd. 17
    Chacon, S (NYY - SP/RP) -- FA

Here's what i'm thinking of..
    Keep: V. Martinez, M. Ensberg, B. Lidge, H. Street
    Trade: M. Tejada, D. Lee for draft picks

any ideas?
    life begins in march, ends in october, and the resurrection occurs in a hot stove

\"IPB
    \"IPB

Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    Morgan Ensberg & Lance Berkman
    Dr. Pepper
    all things Calvin & Hobbes

wait until February where you see where players have landed, and to make sure none of your players blow out their knee playing flag football.

I'm going to assume you'll draft last since you won... therefore Tejada with the last pick of the 1st round is a steal. Ensberg in the 12th is also a steal. Street is also a steal around that round (what happens when you keep 2 players, both drafted in the same round- or FA as the case may be?).
    Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
    Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
    There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
    "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
    "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

actually, i'm gonna have the 7th pick in the draft because as our rules stipulate draft order is determined by regular season finishes and i finished 6th. we played head-2-head and i won in the playoffs

if you keep 2 undrafted players, then you lose your 12th & 13th draft picks

i really wanna keep Martinez b/c of his position & Ensberg because he went undrafted. it looks like anywhere from one to three teams will drop out after this season (one we're kicking out because he didn't participate at all for the entire season) so we'll need to pick up 3 managers. all the players from those teams will be released in the player pool and will have the first draft picks

the other managers have agreed that we'll wait to make any offseason trades until January 15 (the date when owners have to let me know whether they're back in or not). then, we can start our hot stove season
      life begins in march, ends in october, and the resurrection occurs in a hot stove

\"IPB
      \"IPB

Dr. Pepper

Comment

I think you should definitely hold on to Francoeur, and I'm not sure getting rid of Derek Lee is a good idea, you likely won't get anyone in the 5th round that'll do better than he did (if i understood the format correctly).

I like the layout of the league though, good way to establish keepers and still reward the people who did the best the year before.
        You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

i was thinking of Francoeur, but Ensberg will give me the same to better production from 3B whereas i can find another OF to put up 20+ HR & 80+ RBI

\"IPB
          \"IPB

Dr. Pepper

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but no way would I keep a closer and DEFINITELY not two closers. You can always find saves.

For example, I came out of my draft this year with Baez and LaTroy Hawkins as my closers. I won the save category by paying attention and picking up Turnbow, Valverde, Reitsma, Hernandez, Heilman, and couple other guys during the course of the season. Closer jobs are always changing hands.

Trade a closer for draft picks, keep Lee, Ensberg, Tejada and Martinez... and what about Pettitte? He would cost you a 17th? I'd think he'd go much higher than that next year. Pick three of those hitters (I think they're all good values where you got them), and Pettitte.

What the hell do I know though? (Oh, I won my league too).

Comment

well there's been a development with my team...

someone just offered me Lance Berkman (11th round pick last year b/c of the injury) for Derrek Lee (5th round). we'd also exchange draft picks his 10th for my 15th

is there any reason i should not pull off this trade?

after this my keepers would be:
              M. Tejada (1st round - 7th pick overall)
              V. Martinez (3rd round)
              L. Berkman (11th round)
              M. Ensberg (13th round)

or should i keep Street instead of one of those 4?

\"IPB
              \"IPB

Dr. Pepper

Comment

can anyone help? i'm not sure who to keep...

Tejada & Berkman are definites, but who else?

Ensberg? V. Mart? Duke? Haren? Francoer?

\"IPB
                \"IPB

Dr. Pepper

Comment

QUOTE(nschneid @ Dec 23 2005, 02:08 PM) Quoted post

can anyone help? i'm not sure who to keep...

Tejada & Berkman are definites, but who else?

Ensberg? V. Mart? Duke? Haren? Francoer?
                  [/b][/quote]
                  You have to keep Victor Martinez. Top three player at the thinnest position.

I'd stay away from young pitchers, unless they're an absolute stud like Felix Hernandez. Francouer wouldn't be a bad choice.

Comment

well, i've made a couple moves, all of which i think help my team:

i've traded (in seperate moves):

M. Tejada & a 7th rounder for M. Young & a 10th rounder

D. Lee & a 15th rounder for L. Berkman & a 10th rounder

V. Martinez & a 5th rounder for R. Howard & a 10th rounder

i then swapped one of those 10th rounders along with a 9th & a 17th for a 6th, 14th, & 22nd round picks

still not sure who i'm going to keep because i'm starting to like Andy Pettitte's value as an 17th round pick but right now i'm thinking:

M. Young (4th)
                    L. Berkman (11th)
                    M. Ensberg (FA - 12th)
                    R. Howard (FA - 13th)

and then with 2 of my first 3 picks i'll probably grab some pitching

\"IPB
                    \"IPB

Dr. Pepper

Comment

I don't like those moves.

Comment

i made them for these reasons:

i like M. Young's surrounding players a lot more than Tejada's PLUS, i would not have been able to keep Tejada after this year and M. Young will eligible for keeper for the next 2 seasons (every keeper moves up 2 draft rounds the next year, unless they were a 2nd round pick then they move up 1 round; a 1st round pick gets put back into the draft pool)

L. Berkman will be the same .300/30/100 player he always is and he'll only cost me a 11th round pick

R. Howard has a lot more upside than V. Mart and will play for the entire season

\"IPB
                        \"IPB

Dr. Pepper

Comment

I'm late on the scene, but I agree with glovesave about the latest moves.

I'd be nervous about Ensberg repeating 2005. Where did that come from?

Regardless, yes, Berkman and Young for sure. I'd be really tempted to keep Street since you don't give up a useful pick for him essentially. Both Ensberg and Ryan Howard make me a bit nervous, though I like Howard. But I'm thinking if you were hesitant to protect Tejada, won't Delgado or Sexson or someone like that be available? eg, a 1B that is a lock to get 35 HRs instead of a guy that had a great half-season?
                          Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

I'd keep Tejada, Lee and Martinez

Trade high with Ensberg

I'd probably keep Lidge too...yes, you can always find saes but he give you lots of Ks too
                            Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Working...
                            X